PDA

View Full Version : To Be Filled Out By O.E.M

JamesStewart
15-09-2003, 09:50 PM
I am looking through my System INformation and see that under System Model and System Manufac. it says: "To Be Filled Out By O.E.M". This computer was home built. How do I fill in the right information?

godfather
15-09-2003, 09:58 PM
You were the Original Equipment Manufacturer in a sense.
Put whatever YOU want in the fields. Whatever you decide is the right data. Or leave them blank.

Its not a critical piece of information, it would only be used by OEM parties for referencing the system in their database for warranty claims or support in most cases.

It would allow them to check what type/brand of components they had fitted to that PC, if they bothered that is.

JamesStewart
15-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Yes but WHERE do I put this information in :)

tweak\'e
15-09-2003, 10:20 PM
in the registry. there are a few tweaking program such as x-setup that can do it for you.

Kame
16-09-2003, 12:58 PM
If you told us the version of your OS it could be easier to tell you.

WinXP is a bit difficult, requires registry editting, so I think you should use tweaking programs for that.

Win9x (maybe) is found in C:\Windows\oem.ini, just guessing as it's hard for me to go back and remember the past.

stu140103
16-09-2003, 01:45 PM
> If you told us the version of your OS it could be
> easier to tell you.

it is win XP Home I think

Graham L
16-09-2003, 01:51 PM
The only organisation which might want/need that is Microsoft ... and they would have put the appropriate stuff there in the master they provided to the OEM. Many of the OEM installation packages are [b[not[b] exactly the same as the standard retail MS product. Laptops usually have special drivers; almost all the "Recovery CD"s won't work unless on the exact hardware they were provided with. So if you make a bug report, it's important for them to know the exact software you are using.

godfather
16-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Quite right Graham.

Its unusual to see someone actually wanting to give system details that can be interrogated by others (such as MS)

Most people are busy trying to hide these system details (but I have never figured out why).

Holy Cow
17-09-2003, 07:27 AM
> > If you told us the version of your OS it could be
> > easier to tell you.
>
> it is win XP Home I think

HaHaHa you think?
Thought you wood know