PDA

View Full Version : cant download from tucows.inspire.net.nz

Term_X
14-09-2003, 08:55 PM
hi folks

i wanted to dowload some freeware from tucowsand i get to page of the program that i want to d/l. now theres links for to d/l the program according to your O/S. i have xp so of course click on XP, but it doesnt seem to go anywhere but i notice at the bottom of the page it says "connecting to 127.0.0.1" but then only ends up being "done" and the page is blank. but tried other tucows servers and the same thing happens..if i go to the manufaturers website, the link are all tucows servers..

someone help!

cheers

godfather
14-09-2003, 09:07 PM
127.0.0.1 is your own PC, so you will not be getting very far (recursive loop really)

I would think its a problem with something your end (DNS setting, Hosts file??) than at tucows (which works just fine for me, tried it a minute ago)

Perhaps its your ISP's DNS servers?

stu140103
14-09-2003, 09:09 PM
There is not much you can do part from try e-mailing tucows & let them know about that problem & also try here: http://tucows.ihug.co.nz/

Term_X
14-09-2003, 09:15 PM
thnx godfather and stu.. i can get evrywhere else on the net without any probs except for any tucows downlink..strange.. hi stu..tried ur link and same thing.. and godfather..the dns settings are exactly as per xtra instructions... ( im on jetstart adsl )

so..as u said godfather..why is it connecting back to my own pc..when i get evrywhere else on the web?

thanks for the help guys! this has got me stumped.. my end seems to be okay..

Stumped Badly
14-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I just finished a 25Mb download from Tucows c/o Inspire
I just tried the download again to see what would happen & instead of redirecting me to the inspire download site the download started from the US Tucows page.
Maybe Inspire or Tucows is having problems.
127.0.0.1 is your own local loopback address so I would maybe suggest a firewall problem.
Have you installed any new firewalls/popup stoppers etc. or changed any network settings?
Maybe someone more conversant in this field will be of more help.

godfather
14-09-2003, 09:18 PM
There was a posting last week, where it was reported (and verified) that Xtra's DNS servers were off the air.

Just tried them now, and they are still off the air.

That may be your problem, but uncertain why its so site specific.

-=JM=-
14-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Sounds like the hosts file to me. It is stored in windows or windows\system32\drivers\etc rename it from "hosts" to something else and see how it works then.

You may need to reboot for it to take affect.

Peter H
15-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Happens to me occasionally - Reboot or do a cold start.
Bye

Term_X
15-09-2003, 04:43 PM
thnx guys ill try find the hosts file and rename it!