PDA

View Full Version : SB Live! 5.1 Digital Problems

wintertide
14-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I have recently bought a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital. I install it in Windows XP and Red Hat Linux 8 - no problems (apart from not being able to play Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness anymore because of the card for some reason). I install the drivers in Windows 98SE - massive problems.

Firstly, the Creative installer program installs the Windows 2000/XP drivers and totally screws up Windows. I remove the drivers and reinstall Windows and then install the Windows 98 drivers.
I reboot, and instantly get blue screens. I reboot again, and Windows keeps saying that system.ini is not on the hard drive, even though it is. I then re-enable onboard sound and disable the Sound Blaster Live! in Windows, and the system runs fine. The system crashes totally (won't even start up Windows 98) and I reinstall Windows (again!). After it is reinstalled, it keeps coming up with the system.ini missing message.

I would like to use the Sound Blaster Live! because the onboard sound isn't that good. I thought that by now they would have sorted out the problems, but obviously not. If I keep having problems with this card, I will take it back and never buy Creative again.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
Wintertide

tweak\'e
14-09-2003, 03:27 PM
and did the suggestion in your last post help ??

Chilling_Silently
15-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Might I suggest you un-plug the SB!Live card, and re-install doze over top of itself.

It'll then get the idea that you dont have the card, and will repair any files that may have been corrupted.

Throw it back in, and get the latest drivers from driverguide.com, or from the creative labs website.

I had a similar problem ;-) Onboard AC '97 just doesnt compare does it ;-)

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Chill.

wintertide
15-09-2003, 08:59 AM
I fixed the problem... I wiped the Win98 directory and reinstalled it clean. I've been running the sound for over four hours and I haven't had a single blue screen (the previous installs were over the top of itself and they didn't work).

I'm seriously considering switching over to WinXP or Red Hat permanently... damn Win98... :)

And no onboard doesn't compare to the SB Live!, especially when you have a set of Logitech Z680 speakers... :D

Chilling_Silently
15-09-2003, 10:32 AM
> Red Hat permanently... damn Win98... :)

Gotta love the fact it comes with the drivers for a lot of stuff doze simply doesnt ;-)

> And no onboard doesn't compare to the SB Live!,
> especially when you have a set of Logitech Z680
> speakers... :D
>

OOooooohh!!