PDA

View Full Version : OT: Telecom or Vodafone?

caffy
14-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi, I've got a Vodafone mobile that I've had for almost 2 years now, and am looking into upgrading.

I'm wondering, from you guys' personal opinions, about which company I should get a mobile from? Telecom seems good now and you can text overseas people, and they can text back (before that wasn't possible), and Vodafone seems as good. They've both got cool mobiles out - I'm looking into getting one with colour screen, preferrably a Nokia model.

The only thing I use my phone for is texting, so am not too concerned about talk-time plans etc. The other thing is that someone has told me to wait for another 2 months or so, and Telecom will have more mobiles to choose from.

thanks for ur help,
caffy

tweak\'e
14-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Vodafone!!!

there is a reason telecom is trying it hardest to claw back users ;-)

also you can text from the web to vodafone fairly easy.

caffy
14-09-2003, 12:34 PM
No one texts me from the web, tho :)

minos#2
14-09-2003, 01:10 PM
both networks have different advantages... in terms of mobile phone tho I'd suggest the nokia 6610 it doesn't try to be too gimmicky ( although it does come with a radio ) it has a colour screen ( as wanted ) and voice quality is better than my 3210 :D

Mizz_1Nique
14-09-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm with Telecom... the all you can text for $10 a month is a big bonus if you text heaps like me :-)

nomad
14-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Vodafone!!!
U can use a simcard, unlike a Telecom phone which needs to be programmed at the store.

If u on travel, ditch ur voda simcard and pick up a local simcard u are visiting like Oz or UK etc... and its cheaper than roaming ...

Pick up a new phone anywhere in NZ or overseas immediately put simcard in and it works. U c an pick simcards up in diaries ....

GSM is a larger network around the world too. Telecom u are stuck with them on travel cos u cannot convenient unprogram and reprogram onto another provider. So u are stuck with $$ roaming fees ...

sam m
14-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Keep the vodafone if you travel overseas.

Buy Telecom because you can text unlimited $10 per month.

There will always be new phones so you'll be waiting forever

good luck

sam m

agent
14-09-2003, 02:35 PM
I think that if you take a look at the statistics, you'll find that far more people under 30 use Vodafone as a provider than Telecom.

You'll also find that Telecom will end it's $10 texting deal sometime, even if that is like four years in the future. Telecom wants to get a larger user base, I mean, which company wouldn't, but at the moment Vodafone holds top spot.

promethius
14-09-2003, 02:52 PM
do u txt heaps? coz get the $10 txt thingy...its a real good deal...

caffy
14-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I use text only because I'm Deaf.

Some Telecom mobiles have Triband and with that you can change frequencies (whatever that means).

Some of u guys are right in pointing out that only Vodafone mobiles use Sim cards. However, when i travel overseas I never get a new sim card, because I've checked my phone bill and its always been the same price for texting in another country (8 cents per text message).

Vodafone mobiles don't work in the USA, but Telecom does.

I can see it's going to be hard to decide which company to go for! I'm getting someone to talk to the mobile department at Telecom and he will email me back about what they can offer me (eg what new phones are coming out very soon).

Regarding the $10 text a month deal at Telecom, with my vodafone contract its 8 cents per message, which roughly comes out to about $30 a month. If i got a new (vodafone) mobile i could just put the sim card in the new mob....

grrah, my minds going crazy over which company to pick!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-09-2003, 04:08 PM
> Some Telecom mobiles have Triband and with that you
> can change frequencies (whatever that means).

I'm not entirely certain about this, but I don't think Triband is something facilitated on the CDMA network, could be wrong though.

> Some of u guys are right in pointing out that only

> Vodafone mobiles don't work in the USA, but Telecom
> does.

Wrong, Vodafone mobiles haven't worked in the USA in the past because as usual, USA has adopted a different GSM standard than every other developed country. Most of the recent Vodafone mobiles (2 years) have been dual band which will work everywhere but USA. The newer mobiles coming out now, notably the Live! phones (Nokia, Sharp, Sony Ericcson) are all Tri-Band and will operate on US Networks now - am not entirely sure about roaming agreements, but the handset will definitely function.

I don't think Telecom works remarkably well internationally, but it's been a while since I had any interest in the Telecom network so things may have changed.

> Regarding the $10 text a month deal at Telecom, with
> my vodafone contract its 8 cents per message, which
> roughly comes out to about $30 a month. If i got a
> new (vodafone) mobile i could just put the sim card
> in the new mob....

The ease of use of Sim Cards is remarkably good, transferring your entire phonebook, text messages and number across to any other handset is a great feature, something sorely missing in the software based Telecom phones.

BTW, what plan are you on with Vodafone just out of interest?

nomad
14-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Because u won;t be using the phone to make voice calls.

Its best to have Voda prepay. The contracts are with free mins provided and v limited free text's. There may be a plan for txt - unsure..

Triband be it Telecom or Vodafone can be used in N. America. Some countries do not even support CDMA and only support GSM ie .. Singapore. S. Korea support CDMA thou (no GSM). Overall, GSM is far the largest network ...

Switching band means .. in some countries some nations support only a specific band, like they support 1800 and not 900. Being able to support more bands u are able to choose a provider from a larger list and each will have slighly diff pricing ... It may also be stronger ie .. if provider one is getting weak, a stronger signal may be found with another provider and the phone will auto switch to another provider if need be. However if u wish u can purposely choose one provider to go with irrespect. Some providers provide 900/1800 and if ur phone support both bands, u could get a stronger reception by that one company...

godfather
14-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Purely on the basis of customer service, I would recommend Vodafone.

CDMA (Telecom) possibly has a slight advantage with the capabilities of their system at the moment but its a "leap frog" situation, where each service provider rolls out the latest software and hardware to become the leader in technology. As Vodafone introduce the "Vodafone Live" package and GPRS systems they catch up or take the lead.

Tri-Band GSM phones are needed in the USA as their GSM operates on a different frequency, but its still GSM.

csinclair83
14-09-2003, 06:47 PM
get one of each and ur problems are sorted....they cheap these days...
u can even get one for $0 on a 24 month plan blah blah blah...

telecom can text anyyyywhere..
my dad travels and i text him without a problem and am on telecom myself...
but some phone companys overseas wont let them text you out of the blue...means u gotta text them if they wnat to text u..which sucks sometimes...

vodafone wouldnt even let me use phone in australia....unless i paid another $50 ontop of purchasing phone for $300...

it just depends really... as godfather mentions...they both just gonna be overtaking eachother for years to come..

say 2morrow vodafone brings out geting a lotto ticket on ur mobile...
then the next day telecom would do the same but at the same time bring out tab betting as well....ideas never end.... i just wish they could bring out sky sport on mobile so i never miss a rugby or league game again....i missed half of last nites game coz the ontv.nzoom.com tv guide was wrong by 1 hour grrrrrrrrrrrrrr anyway....

i mite mention this since deaf...my nokia 2280 can fax and email ppl..which is handy if ur out and that person doesnt have a mobile...the catch is..they cant reply to u via email...wouldnt know about fax as havnt tried...

and telecom doesnt wanna know about icq or anything, cant txt telecom from the web unless u sign up with something xtra has, but aint free...

unless ur a realllllllly loyal supporter of the vodafone warriors, i personally would say go with telecom for the prices......

but u've been with vodafone for years...so it mite just be easier for u to get a new vodafone mobile and use ur old simcard...unless its not a sim2 card which everyone should use in a vodafone mobile from now on...

caffy
14-09-2003, 07:09 PM
> BTW, what plan are you on with Vodafone just out of
> interest?

I'm not sure what the exact name of the plan is - but I do remember that when I purchased my phone back in 2000, there weren't any plans that suited me - most of them had talk-time included and you had to pay for some of it, even if you didn't make any voice calls at all. The plans that suited me were overpriced.
So my mum challenged them, and asked why did I (me) have to pay for something that I wasn't going to use, etc etc, and in the end vodafone agreed, and set up a plan, that was purely text only, and was 8cents per text. I think it might have been called a "Deaf Plan". Dunno if that's still around.

> vodafone wouldnt even let me use phone in
> australia....unless i paid another $50 ontop of
> purchasing phone for $300...

That's strange, I have used my vodafone mobile in Australia, for the past 3 years, with no problems, and at no extra cost.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Cheers Caffy.

I've just manipulated my contract options and effectively had halved my monthly expenditure... was very proud, until car trouble had me on the phone for 45 minutes... back to square one lol

godfather
14-09-2003, 07:23 PM
> vodafone wouldnt even let me use phone in
> australia....unless i paid another $50 ontop of
> purchasing phone for $300...

If you have a prepay phone, you need a credit card or a deposit before global roaming is allowed. This is because of the different cost structures with overseas GSM suppliers, that simply can't be covered by the prepay from another country.

I have a contracted phone ($80/month) and can use global roaming anywhere.

-=JM=-
14-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Vodafone - keep your existing number.

csinclair83
14-09-2003, 11:06 PM
that must have been my problem as i top up when required yeah on prepaid...

write-click
15-09-2003, 11:25 PM
From memory, Consumer did a comparison recently of the different plans offered by the two companies - check out www.consumer.org.nz for details. I've had phones connected to both networks - back in the Bell South days I wanted to upgrade my phone and they were offering one with all the bells and whistles for free if you were a new customer. I asked what it would cost if I were already a customer and was told $699! I asked if it would be cheaper if I took out a longer contract and was told no, I wasn't a big enough customer to warrant a discount. Vodafone may be better than the old Bell South but it put me off ever using their network again. Plus, I live in the country and Telecom provides greater coverage.

caffy
16-09-2003, 08:35 AM
I feel that I will go for Vodafone at this stage, because Telecom's 027 network is still new, and won't be able to work in some overseas countries like South Africa, UK, Europe etc. (The man at Telecom told me this himself, so must be right?)

And I can get cheaper phones at a parallel import shop in Albany (anyone know of it? my mates buy their phones from there cheaply), and put my existing sim card into it.

Plus, I've heard that (where I live) the Telecom people at the mobile shop are not very good with customer support, whereas Vodafone/First Mobile are.

But later in, in 2 or 3 years when it's time to upgrade again, I might switch over, depends really :)