PDA

View Full Version : Refilled Cartridges

smithyh
14-09-2003, 10:32 AM
does anyone out there have any luck with refilled inkjet carts, the ones I have seen seem to have poor print quality & usually colg up the printers head, this has been on epson & canon units and just poor print quality on hp, lexmark units.

Fire-and-Ice
14-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Check the thread just below for what appears to be a bunch of happy refill customers. ;-)

or click here:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=39369

smithyh
14-09-2003, 10:51 AM
These are HP refillers only, I want to know how people get on with others brands, mainly canon & epson that have been refilled from places like cartridge world etc ?

mikep
14-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Different printers will have different characteristics.
For instance, the low end epsons use a different ink to the mid range and the same goes for nearly all brands out there. Some inks are pigmented, some are not, but usually all inks are made up of some sort of coloring agent suspended in an alcohol base. The size and the characteristics of the molecules that make up the coloring agent have a large bearing on the final output and their path through the print heads.

Epson and canon prnters with replacement ink tanks and fixed heads need to be primed each time you insert a new ink tank. Many people do not ever do this properly and when they try a refilled cart for the first time and see a problem, blame it on the cart, when really, the print head was about to die anyway. Hewlett packard, lexmark and some canon printers have the print head included in the cartridge and each new cartridge brings a new print head. If the print head is damaged in any way, no ink will flow properly.

So depending on what type of printer you have, make an effort to never run it dry if you plan to refill your cartridges or ink tanks.

Most print heads are like miniature heaters on circuit board made of plastic or similar material that can not be run dry for very long. If one heater runs dry, it can melt the base and distort the print, or worse still, damage the entire print head. Many of todays printers have around 60 jets per colour and 150 jets for the black. If one of these gets damaged, you may not see it, but if 3-4 of them are damaged side by side, the results are obvious. Normally "blocked" jets are the result of burning through running dry.

Many, though not all refill inks are dye based with an alcohol base and most can not harm your print head as there are no pigments to block the jets, but not all refillers have the full knowlege of ink technologies and put the wrong inks in. I know of a few really good suppliers that know their stuff. Try this link for one of the better ones.

http://seniornet-west-auckland.org.nz/ijnket.htm

They may not be that good at doing web pages, but they know their inks.

Mike P

*Sparky*
15-09-2003, 02:40 AM
Hi smithyh
Have an Epson Stylus colour 480. Bought 2 1/2 yrs ago. Been refilling the original since with calidad. No problems. Sometimes a bit messy. Make sure I wear my rubber gloves. Have to remember to clean printhead after filling to get rid of the lines. Otherwise its all good.

Cheers.

robo
15-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Personally, I have never refilled.

Lots of second hand reports out there, though. I have decided never to bother. I suspect it could be worth it for black but I would never try it for colours, especially for photos.

That's just me, though, and I print very low volume on ink, use laser mostly.
robo.

B.M.
15-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Iíve refilled various Cannon and Lexmark cartridges for years now without a problem.

I think the big thing is "Donít Overfill".

Too many people try to fit 30ml into a 15ml container and are aggrieved when they fail. The Calidad site has good information as to just how much you should use for each individual cartridge.

Bottom line is I recon Iíve saved $1000ís over the years by refilling.