PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Computer

Singerf
13-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi,
last week i wrote in asking why my pc will connect to my ISP but that was as far as I could go. i received some answers, one of them being It sounded like i had the worm blaster. I d/l fix but it told me my computer didn't have the virus. i put a firewall up and used my virus checker. I still cannot d/l or get onto yahoo messenger.
I am using WINDOWS 2000 PRO. Please i would be very gratedful for any help.
Regards.

tweak\'e
13-09-2003, 06:09 PM
i'm not that familier with w2k but basicly remove any spyware then remove tcp/ip reboot then install tcp/ip (make sure firewalls are uninstalled before removing tcp/ip)

Chilling_Silently
13-09-2003, 11:40 PM
You may want to get the two removal tools from http://www.rescueman.tk, one's for the MS.Blaster, and the other for the Welchia Worm I believe its called, which also uses the same hole.

Try hitting Ctrl + Shift + Esc and let us know what is in the Process tab too.

Can you get to ANY websites at all? If you double-click on the connection Icon in your system tray once you're connected, does the 'bytes sent' go up a lot in comparison to bytes received?

Cheers

Chill.

Singerf
14-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
Ctrl + Shift +Esc. = Inbox - Outlook Express provided by NetGuide... Running.
There are 24 items in Process
I can't get onto the website you gave me it keeps coming back with website not found, please check your spelling.
No I can't get any websites at all, and when clicking on connection icon, the bytes sent are miles ahead.
cheers and thanks

Graham L
14-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Make a new "connection". Read (and print) the instructions from your ISP so you can fiollow them exactly. You have got some setting in that wrong ... DNS address, or have a "proxy" selected when you shouldn't have (or no proxy selcted when you should have. :D)

Singerf
14-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I have done that

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Try disabling your firewall, if you can't get Internet Traffic or Yahoo messenger or anything this is the most likely cause.

Download and run SpyBot (http://security.kolla.de) to remove any spyware etc that may be hindering the connection.

Go to Internet Explorer and select Tools --> Options --> Connections --> Click LAN Settings and make sure there are no options ticked here, then also select your Dial-Up Connection on this page, click settings and make sure none of the proxy sections are ticked.

kiwibeat
14-09-2003, 03:52 PM
http://www.korg.com/1212faq/1212_windows_optimize.htm

Singerf
17-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks for that site, but i have WIN2000 PRO

Rod ger
17-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Is the computer ONLY sluggish on the internet? Click on your connection to bring up details and watch Bytes Sent. Is it winding on without you doing anything?

Elephant
17-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Personally I like the solution from Tweak'e.

Have you done that?

Elephant
17-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Personally I like the solution from Tweak'e.

Have you done that?

Thomas
17-09-2003, 08:20 PM
You may like to have a go with this.

http://www.pspl.com/

Susan B
17-09-2003, 08:32 PM
I saw a similar thread the other day here (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=4b915035ef795a6f6697bfc84750fa05&threadid=10227) that may or may not be of some help to you.

falvrez
17-09-2003, 08:46 PM
This may be a long shot but I had a user with the same problem. In the end he had that much cr@p on his PC (spyware) it just tok over any available bandwidth to the point where he could do nothing else.

A quick (well, not that quick) run of Adaware and Spybot killed all the nasties and he was off again.

Worth a crack Nigel (unless you've done it already of course!)

kumaraguy
17-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Talking about so much cr..spyware on a PC what is the largest amount you have found?

I came across 199 instances using Adaware on a computer with Kazaa installed :O

sandyb
17-09-2003, 10:49 PM
that has happened to me i could connect to the internet but i could only connect and that was it. It happened 3 times to me and the only i managed to solve it was to format c: it was very drastic but i love deleting windows anyway so there was no drama there, but i did try new versions of ie and other browsers with no luck. I can only offer you suggestions. Try other browsers and if they work well it must be ie. so try a reinstall.
Good luck

Chilling_Silently
18-09-2003, 12:28 AM
You wouldnt happen to have Zone Alarm would you?
Try removing it... and re-install it later, see if that helps!

falvrez
19-09-2003, 08:50 AM
>Talking about so much cr..spyware on a PC what is the largest amount you have found?
>I came across 199 instances using Adaware on a computer with Kazaa installed

I've come across similar amounts Kumara Man - must be the water in Northland huh? My brother has found something like 400 once on a home PC with kids constantly downlaoding the worst of it: Bonzi Buddy, Gator, Incredimail, HotBar....the list goes on.

Blue Druid
19-09-2003, 11:31 PM
I had an identical problem and had uninstalled and reinstalled tcp/ip as well as the dial up connection to no avail. Sygate Personal Firewall was installed and had functioned without a glitch until then but when I uninstalled it, problem solved. I suspect this could be true of a number of freeware firewalls and maybe others too.