PDA

View Full Version : MY F!@$##@ED UP LAPTOP!

Gods-Hitman
13-09-2003, 02:16 PM
My cr!p laptop has gone nuts, when i tern it on it says no OS so i try to use my restore CDs... nothing... a boot disk nothing.... and new windows XP install... nothing.. all these have an error but there all deferent, then i tryed to install linux and it says NO HARD DRIVE! HELP!!!!!!!

somebody
13-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Step 1.
Calm Down

Step 2.
Take a deep breath.

Ok. It looks like your hard disk is dead. If the laptop is still under warranty, send it back so it can be fixed. If not, take it down to a computer repair store and get them to fix it. They will most likely have to put a new hard drive into your laptop.

stu140103
13-09-2003, 02:30 PM
So we can help you better can you tell us these things:

What type of laptop do you have????
Who makes it????
How old is it????
Laptop specks e.g. what type of hdd do you have ,etc.......

What OS did you have on it before it when on the blink????

You know we are not there so you have to tell us every thing that happened/ is happing to it before it when on the blink & now it when on the blink.

Graham L
13-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Essential steps.

1) go for a long walk. Admiring the scenery. Thinking about anything except computers.
2) have a cup of coffee, tea, or other sustaining beverage.

3) Think. What did you last do to the laptop. Have you had thunderstorms, with the laptop's modem plugged in? Have the neighbourhood hoons self-destructed against a powerpole, with the result that your lights and television set have all burned out?
4) try getting into the BIOS setup. See what it says about the hardware.
It might be set to boot from the hard disk only. (Though you booted a Linux disk?) It might be set to not allow changes to the boot sector (which would not let you complete an installation).
5) Tell us the results of your look at the BIOS. And the make and model of the laptop.

6) Or wait until tomorrow, trying to think good thoughts in the meantime. It's not productive trying to work on computers (which are extremely logical) while in an emotional state. :D

Gods-Hitman
13-09-2003, 02:49 PM
First im a kid and don't drink coffee 2ed,
*1.7ghz pro
*32mb ATI RS200M Graphics card
*352mb Of ram
*20Gig Hdd
*Its a HP i got it at the start of this year, ze4103s Pavilion Notebook

And the BIOS thing did not work

PoWa.
13-09-2003, 03:03 PM
www.killdisk.com and just download the free version of the software. Wipe the whole disk with zeros, and then see if you can reinstall the OS from there.

Lohsing
13-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Well if it's under 1 yr old, then you'll be covered under warranty... take it back to where you bought it from and check...

Lo.

Graham L
13-09-2003, 03:09 PM
NO.

That's a very bad idea.

Wait until Monday and TAKE IT BACK TO THE VENDOR. It is 9 months old.
Guarantees are there for a reason. It has failed. They will fix it. Anything you do might invalidate the guarantee.

metla
13-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Due its age i will refrain from suggesting the flying-elbow off the shed roof onto the laptop remedy......

Gods-Hitman
13-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Ill go for the wharity thing (I hope i can last the time till monday!)

Pheonix
13-09-2003, 03:45 PM
For strong addiction, recommend visit to net cafe :D

somebody
13-09-2003, 04:57 PM
PoWa, if nothing can find the hard disk, and recognise that it even exists, then how can a program like killdisk wipe a hard disk which it doesn't know exists?