PDA

View Full Version : stuck with low res and 16 colours

uplandjourneys
13-09-2003, 01:02 PM
I had a Win 98 2nd Ed system hang when I was using Pegasus and Mailwasher. I closed processes one by one using control alt delete and the task box. In the end I had to press the shutdown button.

The next start came up in safe mode. I rebooted again and now everything is working, I think, but the res is 640 by 480 and in 16 colours.

I've tried to reset it using Display Properties / Settings but after the compulsory re-start it reappears in 640 by 480 and 16 cols again.

Chilling_Silently
13-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Im going to take a Guess that it's gone and killed/corrupted/cant find your Display Adapter Drivers.

What is your Graphics card?
I'd suggest that you go to your Card manufacturer's website and download the latest Drivers for it.

You have rebooted OUT of Safe Mode and are back in 'normal' Windows, havent you? You can set it to change in Safe Mode, but I dont think that it actually changes while you're in Safe Mode, rather it will wait until you next reboot back.

If you right-click on My Computer and choose Properties, Have a look in there and check the Hardware and make sure there are no Exclamation Marks on you Monitor or Graphics Card, as that may also hint as to why you're only getting that resolution if you ARE in 'normal' Windows :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

uplandjourneys
13-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Chill
I haven't got a graphics card as far as I know. "Integrated software 3d graphics" is written on the case. The device manager claims that the driver for the monitor and "graphics adapter" is the best Windows can find.

Yes I'm back in normal Windows when this is going on. No exclamation marks beside Hardware.

Thanks,
UJ

godfather
13-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Even "on board graphics" chipsets need drivers, and not always the windows default ones you seem to have.

No error would be expected in Device Manager, after all it has a driver (of sorts) and is working (or you wouldn't be able to see the monitor image)

You need to determine the chipset type and download the correct driver, though you might have it with the original CDs that came with the computer?

uplandjourneys
14-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks Chill and Godfather, it's fixed.

How the havoc happened I don't precisely know, but here's what fixed it. I should explain have one password protected user account leading to a colourful desktop with all my stuff and the kids' stuff too. So the old basic desktop can only be reached by pressing cancel from the login dialogue box.

The result is that my small kids need me at their side for the password before they can use the computer.

I keep the old desktop clear of icons and totally stark so when they press cancel and go there, (and the little ratbags do try to circumvent my security arrangements,) it looks like there's no fun to be had. They don't know about the start button and program list yet.

Anyway I couldn't change the colour/res settings from the user account, but I could from the old empty base desktop. I never go there ordinarily and it took me a long time to remember it was even there.

Yahoo! Now their games work again - most of the programs complained they needed at least 256 colours to work.

Thanks again
UJ