PDA

View Full Version : New house.

Thomas
13-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Just about to build new house.
Could I ask which app you would suggest to use to keep track of costs etcc,the simpler the better;)
Thank you all.

wotz
13-09-2003, 10:12 AM
The simplest is an off cut of your builders timber and a pencil. Don't forget a chisel to sharpen the pencil.

somebody
13-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Use Excel or a similar spreadsheet software. That way it can perform calculations for you (eg. how much you went over budget etc.).

yang11
13-09-2003, 12:12 PM
you may consider something bigger like ACCESS, NZGOLD and even MYOB. I noticed trades people using the above .

I am not using those in real life. excel is just fine for me.

Murray P
13-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Some more info is required, please, Thomas ;)

Who is building the house. You, a labour only contractor or a full contract with a builder/building company. If its not you who is supervising and what systems are in place to manage the project.

If its you who is doing the building: Do you have a materials and labour takeoff. Do you have quotes from suppliers and sub-trades or are you winging it. What contract structure do you have in place. Are you aware and up to speed with the various legislation that applies (the new Building Bill is out in draft form Overview Here (http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/bus_pol/building/review/bill/index.html) ) that has implications for who is liable for what.

The simplest method of keeping track of costs isn't too far of the block the of timber and pencil method, except I'd add that you need to check every delivery, on site, against your schedule of materials and cross check that with your statements and invoices from the suppliers (whether bulk or sub-trade). You do/will have a schedule and have that devided into suppliers and delivery loads, don't you? (Transport costs are often overlooked). Get the main suppliers to keep a job file behind the counter, password accounts and use order numbebrs that track against your schedule. Cost any changes and get written agreement before they happen.

Cheers Murray P

Susan B
13-09-2003, 03:51 PM
> The simplest is an off cut of your builders timber and a pencil. Don't forget a chisel to sharpen the pencil.

LMAO!! :^O

That is a classic and just so true!!

Thanks wotz, you made my day. :D

Graham L
13-09-2003, 04:33 PM
The British government used wooden tokens to keep track of tax payments. When they decided to get rid of the old ones, they burned them. And the Houses of Parliament. :D

Thomas
13-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I would like to thank you all for your help,seems it's to be excel.

Wotz sence of humour seem to be on a par with the young lady,non exisistent,but at least you tried;)