PDA

View Full Version : Lost drive with Red Hat Linux

pburt
12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
I have just installed Red Hat Linux, and all went well apart from a couple of niggles. I installed it on my D drive, and can't seem to be able to see or access C drive from the Linux desktop, hence all my word files etc are unavailable at this stage.

The converse is true when I boot up with XP. Explorer fails to find D drive.

Is there a trick to this, or perhaps some third party software that will fix this?

It also wont recognise my ADSL modem. I have failed to find a linux driver so far. Any ideas for sites to search?

Many thanks,

Phil Burt.

Chilling_Silently
12-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Its not lost, its just not mounted.

You have to 'mount' your HDD's for them to become available.
The best way to do this is in a konsole window, so open up an xterm, konsole, any virtual command line...

Now become root (I'll write it out just in case you dont know):
su -
trype in your root password
Now, try typing the following to make a folder for it to be mounted at:
mkdir /mnt/windows_c
this will make a folder for you to "put" the C: drive on.

Just keep in mind, that Windows cannot read Linux file-systems (Ext2 or Ext3), but Linux CAN read and write to FAT and FAT32. If you have WinXP/2K and your HDD is NTFS, then you may only have Read-Only access to your partition.
Now we mount your windows partition, try:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows_c

That should be it, and if you type:
cd /mnt/windows_c && ls -l
you should get a listing of your Windows drive.

There's a bit more to learn about mounting and unmounting drives, but google around and you'll find info.
If you're still stuck, post back here and myself or somebody else will give you a nudge in the right direction :-)

Cheers

Chill.

pburt
12-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks...did everything you said through xterm window. All went well, but found out I do have NTFS and when I typed the command to show the listing of the windows drive, it just came up "total 0". And I still cant see c: from any linux programme.

Is this a dead end, or is there more I could do?

Cheers

Phil

Chilling_Silently
12-09-2003, 02:54 PM
No, All hope is not lost.. Your kernel is just not compiled with NTFS support by default, but no matter, as people are kind enough to make some rpm's to install to fix that without having to touch your kernel:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html

You should unmount the drive, as root, type:
umount /mnt/windows_c
Then install the rpm, then re-mount the drive :-)

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Chill.