PDA

View Full Version : ie6 sp1 stops when downloading web pages

allanl
11-09-2003, 11:13 PM
I recently installed sp1 for ie6 on win2k sp4. Now many pages and files will not download properly. I often get "1 item remaining" and I need to hit the refresh button a few times before I get the whole page. eg if I go to windows update I get the following in the top pane "ion' == typeof(fnShowMenu)) fnShowMenu(this, ProductsMenu);" onmouseout="if('function' == typeof(fnFadeMenu)) fnFadeMenu();">All" instead of the nice windows image. If I go to download a file from a site, it stops downloading after about 76k. I tried to repair but the ie6 entry is not in the add/remove entries. I've reset and cleared every default and tried tweakui. Tried a hint REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL. Ok. but got a "loadlibrary Ok failed. Library not found" error.
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to repair / reinstall ie6?

Jen C
12-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi allanl

When you typed in REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL. did you include that fullstop at the end of DLL ?

This may account for why you got the Library not found error. You need to enter in regsvr32 urlmon.dll and then click OK. There are other files you could try re-registering as well. Look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679). All of those are for fixing links which do not activate, but it wouldn't hurt to try the others anyway.

allanl
12-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks Jen. I sussed that out but it still didn't fix my ie prob. Perseverance helps. For anyone else with a buggy ie6 and it doesn't appear in add/remove. Use regedit and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-EBCD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}. Change the ISInstalled (REG_DWORD) value from 1 to 0. Hit ok then reboot. I could then reinstall ie6.