PDA

View Full Version : Folder view > Details

Halwende
11-09-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm using Win XP Pro and what I'm trying to do is when I open my F:\Movies folder I want it to list (in "details") view the file name, size, bit rate and duration. I've right-clicked on the menu headers and ticked these attributes but Windows has to "re-load" the bit rate and duration information every time I open the folder.

This is tying up my Athlon 2600+ CPU for a moment while it goes down each movie and displays the bit rate and duration - how can I make it so it displays these as fast as it does the file name and size information?

Susan B
12-09-2003, 09:49 AM
I think you may be asking a little much if you want these details displayed as fast as your other folders. I have a folder with 27 short .avi movies (largest size is 10,000KB, most are around 4,000KB) in it and with these details it takes my computer (P4 2.4, 512MB RAM) about a second longer to display the details. If I had more of them and they were much larger files, eg full movies, then I would expect to have to wait much longer.

How many movies have you got in your folder and what size are they? If it is annoying you that much why don't you create more folders and sort your movies so that there are less of them in each folder?

Halwende
12-09-2003, 10:26 AM
There are about 30 movies, all between 750Mb and 1.4Gb. I thought I might be asking a bit too much :) I timed it in my head and for it to display the bit rate and duration of each takes approx 1 second per movie, so I have to wait around 30 seconds before I can "do anything" as my mouse is dragging along as my CPU goes full whack.

It's a 2600+ running at stock (2.09Ghz) and there's 512Mb RAM, but it's a shame as it'll be nice to have that information display as quick as the file name and file size... I assume then that Windows/Explorer has to go to some extra effort to obtain the bit rate & duration information about a file but I wondered if there was a tweak somewhere I could do to change that.

If not, oh well I'll add it to the "that'll be nice" list of a future Windows!