PDA

View Full Version : Best Compression

heni72847
11-09-2003, 06:48 PM
what's the best compression to use when compressing a large number of files containing serveral differnt file format all into one big file
need to be lossless so i'll be able to open it up when needed

even disk imaging programs can be counted in...
they compress too, but i've no idea how well

Chilling_Silently
11-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Download WinZip 9.0 Beta, allows for even greater compression and its most widely accepted..

However, download WinRar or WinAce and they'll do tests against WinZip 8.x to show they can beat it...

If you're distributing it, then go WinZIp.

If its just backups per say, or just one person you're sending a few files to, then try WinAce or WinRar :-)

-=JM=-
11-09-2003, 07:54 PM
I would take a look at 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org) last time I used it could undercut other formats by over a 1.5MB in one case. All depends on what it is compressing though.

Also don't forget about the CAB I managed to save 700k with that the other day with some .DOC files.

PoWa.
11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
I heard the new WinZip 9 was a real pain if you save it in a particular format. Everyone else has to have the new version of WinZip9 to read it.

WinRar, has very good compression and I use that. You can save it in the various formats for compatibility ie zip etc, and it opens miles more filetypes. I think you'll find that winzip is restricted to only zip or cab files, whereas winrar you can open CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR and ISO files.

heni72847
11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
thanx for your replys
it's just that i don't know which format to use
which would give the best general compression?

tweak\'e
11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
winrar (http://www.rarsoft.com/) has a good compression and will read virtually all other types.

bmason
11-09-2003, 11:06 PM
If your not too concerned about compatability (with windows users atleast), try bzip2.

Its supported by powerarchiver, and probably others (and every linux distro). Its slow but it offers excellent compression.

Graham L
12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
After about 20 years I would use ZIP. Not WinZip9 yet. The differences are not enough to worry about. It mattered a bit when we wanted to get every possible bit on a 360kB floppy. What has always mattered is reliability, and stability.

You can read a ZIP file anywhere. One of the arguments for WinZip 9 is that it will make an enormous compressed file. As far as I'm concerned that is a problem. When you get into the gigabyte file sizes you start to meet "error rates". Compressed files are bad news if they have errors. You often lose everything after the error. The bigger the file, the more chance of an error. Mr Murphy would have something to say about "eggs in baskets" too.