PDA

View Full Version : PC Company pc not working

BootyLicious
11-09-2003, 12:23 PM
A new pc from the great pc company is not going, it starts and shows the winodws logo (Win XP) then goes blank and thats it.

i am thinking a reinstall of windows xp should fix it because if it was the
hardware it would not start at all (what you think).

This is not my pc it's a friends, so all i know is it is running Win XP. I made my own pc so my one goes good.

will a reinstall fix it or is it stuffed?X-(

nicnz
11-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Blank, as in hangs? Or blank and restarts? A reinstall may fix it - if it's new then it's not going to hurt it...

Nic

Jen C
11-09-2003, 12:47 PM
The new PC will still be under warranty and CMANZ (Computer Manufacturers Association Of New Zealand) which is what PC Co was part of, will still apparently honour the warranty. Let them fix it as it is a new computer, that is what a warrenty is for.

BootyLicious
11-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Ok i new someone would say this. He took the pc back to the pc company before they close down to get it fixed, but they rang him up to come get it our it would be lock away for god knows how long. And as you know there is no one at home at the pc company now so where to from here. If i can reinstall windows and get it going again thats great, but if it's hardware then he will have along wait to get it fixed i would say.

Susan B
11-09-2003, 12:55 PM
I hate to say this, but those symptoms sound similar to what happened to work's PC last week, only that it did it once and couldn't be started again so you may be more lucky.

The diagnosis was a stuffed mobo so it was going back for a new one under warranty. Computer is a five-month old IBM though, not from PC Co.

Try doing a repair of Windows and if that doesn't work, give the memory a test. Others here may have more suggestions.

Biggles
11-09-2003, 01:00 PM
The CMANZ warranty - not PC Co - is the important thing. See here:

http://www.cmanz.co.nz/buying/buying.htm

and here:

http://www.cmanz.co.nz/buying/code.htm

Relevant section:

"Warranty Assurance Program: Should a member's business fail, any PC with the CMANZ logo is covered by the CMANZ Warranty Assurance Program for the remainder of the warranty period purchased, up to a maximum period of 24 months. This warranty covers components for the computer only, for component hardware failure only, and the replacement thereof. It does not cover configuration of the PC, warranty of a peripheral or other products purchased with the computer."

So if PC Co is gone for good you are, in theory, covered by this warranty and CMANZ and its memebers are obliged to see the warranty honoured.

CYaBro
11-09-2003, 02:24 PM
If it's a hardware problem then it will be covered under warranty. But if you take it in to get repaired and they find that it is a software problem then they could charge you for the repair!

yang11
11-09-2003, 02:47 PM
If your friend's computer got a on-board network card, disable it.

if you wants to do a memory test, use memtest86. a very good tool which saved my days many times. use google to get a download site.

the other thing I can think of, the hard disk. Have you heard any strange noise?

unless you are a pro, I wouldn't recommend that you reinstall w-xp. take it back to PC co/CMANZ.

please keep us posted.

good luck

somebody
11-09-2003, 05:06 PM
If it is a hardware problem, then the original manufacturer's warranty on the parts should exist.

grmo
12-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Try tapping the F10 key on boot, this should bring you into a screen that allows you to remaster and restore the system. If they are still using this process that is.
Failing that it could be a card pop issue. If it did it out of the box as soon as he got it, it is about 99% guranted that something has gone loose in transit.
What happens if you tap F8 while it boots up and select safe mode? Does it still hang?

zubin_kharas
12-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi BootLicious,
Dont mean any offence but did U try booting through Safe-mode ??
Press F8 on startup & choose safe-mode from the list.
If safe-mode works, I guess its something about the refresh rate & either adapter driver or monitor driver config problem...
Also, try inserting Ur XP disk & see if it boots from there, detects Ur hard-drive etc...

Regards,
Zubin

zubin_kharas
12-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Oh Sorry grmo for repeating a bit of what U said, I just didn't read the whole thing ..

Regards,
Zubin