PDA

View Full Version : DVD Backups

frossy13
11-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Ok so u don't need a DVD Writer so I hear.
But I understand you can Back-up DVD's with a CD Writer?
Does this come out with pictures and sound for Music & Movie Dvd's
Is the quality any good?
I can hear u all say "DUH" already
So does a Music DVD always have the artist playing the sounds.
I read of an Abba one that just played to a still picture of Abba.
Just bought a Meatloaf one - pretty cool.

Susan B
11-09-2003, 10:13 AM
A CD writer cannot read DVDs and most certainly cannot copy a DVD so you are out of luck there.

Pheonix
11-09-2003, 10:33 AM
I'm not too sure what you are specifically after. Mind you, it early in the morning ( for me) :D and the first caffine fix hasn't really kicked in yet. But I suspect what you have heard, is that by using a DVD reader, you can convert the movie into something like VCD format which you can burn onto a CDR.
Haven't tried it myself, but opinion is, that you do get a noticable degradation in picture quality compared to DVD.
You also need a good computer to do it as the "crunching" can take hours.

dotcommander
11-09-2003, 11:34 AM
pretty much go here http://www.eazyvcd.tk/ for all your backing up needs. This pretty much does it all with just one click, usually takes around 3-5 hours to back up a movie depending on your computer

CYaBro
11-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Yea, Pheonix is right. You can (with a DVD-ROM and CDRW Drive) copy a DVD to your HDD then convert it to a VCD / SVCD / DivX movie.
But it does take a long time. Usually takes about 30mins to copy DVD to HDD then about 3-4 hours to convert to VCD or whatever format you choose. (Depending on the speed of your PC - length of DVD etc) Then burn it to a CD-R.

If you convert to VCD, quality is pretty crap compared to original DVD and most will take up 2 CD-R's, some even 3! SVCD will take up even more CD-R's as each one can only hold about 30mins of video I think.

DivX or XVid is much better quality and you can fit a whole movie onto 1 CD-R but then you can only play it in a PC. Most stand alone DVD players will play VCD / SVCD but not DivX, although there are some coming out now that will.

Of cause this is all highly illegal :)

Susan B
11-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Hmm, it was obviously too early in the morning for my brain to be working when I made that first reply.

The others have nicely explained how you can backup your DVDs with your CD writer but you can only do this if you have a DVD reader installed on your computer to read the DVDs. Neither a CD writer nor CD-ROM will be able to read your DVDs. Sorry if you already know this but other people I have spoken to in the past didn't so I thought I would just point it out.

metla
11-09-2003, 12:58 PM
the other option is to plug a dvd-player into a tv capture card,and record the movie to harddisc as it plays,then encode it into the desired format and burn it onto cd with an authoring program.

After doing it a few times,i think its more trouble then its worth.

Lohsing
11-09-2003, 01:15 PM
VCD can do it to 1 CD... SVCD to 2 cd's is standard, and pretty awesome quality.

Try looking at DVD2SVCD (http://www.dvd2svcd.org/) for more info.

Lo.

phylip
11-09-2003, 03:14 PM
> Yea, Pheonix is right. You can (with a DVD-ROM and
> CDRW Drive) copy a DVD to your HDD then convert it to
> a VCD / SVCD / DivX movie.
> But it does take a long time. Usually takes about
> 30mins to copy DVD to HDD then about 3-4 hours to
> convert to VCD or whatever format you choose.
> (Depending on the speed of your PC - length of DVD
> etc) Then burn it to a CD-R.
>
> If you convert to VCD, quality is pretty crap
> compared to original DVD and most will take up 2
> CD-R's, some even 3! SVCD will take up even more
> CD-R's as each one can only hold about 30mins of
> video I think.
>
> DivX or XVid is much better quality and you can fit a
> whole movie onto 1 CD-R but then you can only play it
> in a PC. Most stand alone DVD players will play VCD
> / SVCD but not DivX, although there are some coming
> out now that will.
>
> Of cause this is all highly illegal :)
actually as long as you own the original it is not illegale
according to copywrite law (1986) you are allowed to make a copy of anything you own in any media format being vhs dvd cdrom or any audio format as long as you are the legal owner of the original
for back up purposes

this is why there are websites telling people how to back up there cd's as the practise is not illegale as long as you only make 1 copy for your own purposes

>

metla
11-09-2003, 03:42 PM
> actually as long as you own the original it is not
> illegale
> according to copywrite law (1986) you are allowed to
> make a copy of anything you own in any media format
> being vhs dvd cdrom or any audio format as long
> as you are the legal owner of the original
> for back up purposes
>
> this is why there are websites telling people how to
> back up there cd's as the practise is not illegale
> as long as you only make 1 copy for your own
> purposes
>

Its only legal unless the media in question states that it is not to be copied...and as we all know,every dvd has such a clause.

metla
11-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Right,i just looked into it a bit further,There is absolutly no part that i could find of the copyright law that i could find that states your allowed to make back-ups of anything.

heres the entire thing

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/browse_vw.asp?content-set=pal_statutes

Futhermore,from a later amendment i got this

Exceptions to Copyright
There are a number of exceptions to the rights outlined in the Act. These are called "permitted acts". These reflect instances where Parliament has determined that the wider public interest, or the interests of particular groups, makes it necessary to restrict or limit the rights granted to copyright owners.

Permitted acts include:

"fair dealing" - for the purposes of criticism, review, news reporting, research or private study;
limited copying or dealing in the work for particular educational purposes;
limited copying or dealing in the work by librarians or archivists in specific circumstances;
exceptions in respect of certain activities by the Crown;
copying for the purposes of making copies that are in Braille;
subject to certain conditions, the making of a back-up copy of a computer program; and
recording a television programme for the purpose of making a complaint or for "time shifting" purposes so that a programme can be watched at a more convenient time.
There is no general exception to copyright infringement for private of domestic copying, including "format shifting", of legitimately purchased recordings from one medium to another to allow playing or viewing via other devices.

So,Wether or not you own one or 50 copies,Makeing a back-up or a copy wether its the entire media or just a part,then you are infringing on the rights of the copyright holder.