PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cable modems on network

airdale
10-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Does anyone have any experience running two or more cable modems across the same network? Telstra Clear say that it is possible and have clients using this configuration but have no idea how they are doing it.

Chilling_Silently
11-09-2003, 12:32 AM
What exactly are you asking for?
What are you hoping to acheive?

Do you want to run two ADSL modem's per-say (at 128kbps for example) to have an over-all connection of 256kbps? Sorta like Load-Sharing between two modems?

-=JM=-
11-09-2003, 08:33 AM
I would imagine that they'll have a firewall/gateway that has the two cable connections connected to it. Then the other computers on the network just use this as the gateway and it would all work... I think. They'll also have some flashy setup monitoring how much traffic each connection is using so they can shut one off when it goes over the monthly allowance.

I'm just guessing though.

airdale
17-09-2003, 07:53 PM
I am hoping to run two cable modems capped at 512k each, across a LAN. Whilst this can be achieved by installing two network cards in the server I am not sure how to address such issues as load sharing and traffic management.

Budda
18-09-2003, 10:35 AM
You probably need a program like "Bandwidth Controller v8"

"Affordable bandwidth management and traffic shaping has
finally arrived for the Windowsr platform.

Regain control of your network traffic with Bandwidth
Controller. With only a few clicks of the mouse you can
manage your network resources quickly and effectively."

Then you can load share between your two modems :) hope something like this work