PDA

View Full Version : Internet to Mobile Abusive Text messages

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 08:57 PM
My daughter is getting some abusive txt messages on her mobile phone, and on ringing Vodaphone, she was told that the messages came over the Internet and they could not tell who they were from.

I'm not to up on mobile phones, but I would have thought that any message coming over the net would have had an IP number or a return path email address in the header or have I got it all wrong??

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Sorry for the double posting F1 seems even more sluggardly tonight. So as usual, because I quite often get "unlogged", I copy & pasted before trying to post. As nothing was happining I logged in again and resent.

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Its likely from ICQ, or perhaps Yahoo (I think they can do it now).
It's probably just a school-friend with a grudge... but in saying that, its still not acceptable.

You could ask Vodafone to block that number, I've heard that they will do that.

You could also see about tracing the number back, as IIRC, ICQ Numbers have relevance to the number that is shown as the sender in txt messages...

Just a thought, but does anybody know the significance between ICQ Numbers and the ICE txt numbers?

Lohsing
10-09-2003, 09:23 PM
No matter where the msg came from, you can trace. You need to lay a complaint with the service which sent the msg, and they can give you the details of where it originated from, and who has registered the account, etc.

Lo.

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks Chilling,
My daughter is a bit past school days and I won't go into details, but from what you say it should be possible to trace the perpetrator one way or another?

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 09:47 PM
We could all have some fun if we knew the number it was being sent from? ]:)

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 10:01 PM
As I said Voderphone pleaded untraceability. I was pretty sure that one way or another you should be able to get back to the ISP with a IP number and time as a minimum.

Lohsing
10-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Complain to the ISP where you received the message from... if it's ICQ, then complain to them, etc... I remember MTNSMS, and I traced someone from it, etc.

I'm sure ICQ would be even easier.

Lo.

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 10:46 PM
The problem is to to get Voderphone to cheack back on the details. they are claiming that the Internet based messages aren't traceable!

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 10:57 PM
So dont get Vodafone then...
Try going to ICQ...
All my ICQ2SMS numbers start with +8869 and are around 12 numbers long...
Any idea if this number is?

Lohsing
10-09-2003, 11:01 PM
That's what I meant... ICQ take threats seriously... if someone is abusing their system, they will do what they can to help.

Lo.

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Seem a little crossed up here. The anonymous messages are texted to her phone, are you saying its possible to find some form of id from the message itself? Sorry pleading ignorance on texting in particular and mobile phones generally.
I was under the impression the text message appeared on the phones screen and that was all you got, hence the idea of tracing it back through Vodaphone who may be able to supply details of the calls.

Lohsing
10-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Yes, that's right... generally txt messages from the internet arrive via some provider... You can tell how it was sent through the body of the message... ie, does it advertise how it was sent at the end of the message body, or anything like that?

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 11:34 PM
If the phone's a Nokia, scroll down a lil more on the message and it'll tell you the sender.. Dunno about ALcatel or other vendors sorry :-(

Rod ger
10-09-2003, 11:42 PM
I'll have to check that out with her.
Thanks for the help.

Murray P
11-09-2003, 05:42 PM
And in a Kyrocera 2235 you while in the message you scroll across the bottom untill you get to sender. My mobile notes service comes up as 42610000 for eg.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
12-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Once I log off(Dial Up) my assigned IP address is open to be assigned to someone else so Vodaphone are telling the truth.

Lohsing
12-09-2003, 12:38 AM
That's true, but if the message was sent via the internet through ICQ or something similar, then you will be able to report the message ID to ICQ and go through their abuse system... they generally are very helpful.

So the point is not to go back to Vodafone, but figure out where the msg came from in the first place by reading through it carefully...

Lo.

beama
12-09-2003, 07:52 AM
They can also use vodafone web site for web to cellphone texting and if they are possibly vodafone can trace it because you have to register before using this service.
I would think that it is someone who has been given the cell phone number less likely that someone could have guessed it.
I wish you good luck in tracing this person

Rod ger
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
OK back again, and we have a number, 15 characters long,apparently a ICQ number, although a quick search seems to suggest ICQ numbers are smaller.
Whats my next move to ID this creep?

AlexF
12-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Current ICQ numbers are 9 characters long, and these will be the last digits of the number you have. Older ICQ numbers can be 8 characters or less but these days numbers with fewer than 9 digits are rare. The first two will be the country code (useless because it simply gives the country of origin of the ICQ server, not the sender).

Download the full version of ICQ (www.icq.com) and register yourself. Once you're in, click the Add button, put in the last 8 or 9 digits of the number and click add. This just searches, it doesn't actually add the user to your contact list. When you get a result, right click on it and select users details. If your daughter recognises who it is, then bingo. :)

But the txter could also have registered an anonymous account (false details) which would make tracing him a lot more difficult. You'd have to contact ICQ and get the ip address that registered the account, or the last known ip address that he used. Armed with this information and the time/date that he had this IP, you can run a name service lookup (nslookup) to find out which ISP he uses. Then it is simply a matter of contacting the ISP and informing them of the abuse.

Rod ger
12-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks Alex, I'm on my way!!

PoWa.
12-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Very good alex, you summed it up perfectly. Although the ISP won't actually reveal the name of the person giving you abuse (you would need a court order for them to do that), but they will give the person a good warning.

Rod ger
12-09-2003, 10:23 PM
While looking to download ICQ I came across this (http://www.thetrainingco.com/teknion_tracker.htm). Ipresume this does the same thing without having to do it the long way??
Anyway putting a nine digit number in just causes a reload reducing thenumber to the last eight letters produces some portugese guy in Lagos( not a good candidate). Reducing it futher to seven numbers produces a profile with no details whatsoever.
Could this be it?
I'll put up the number,minus the last two numerals, just to see if it looks OK to you. It is 8869177428165**

agent
12-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Well actually, the number the message appears to be from may not be the users ICQ number.

Just to prove this (without giving out my ICQ number), an SMS message I send from ICQ will appear to come from the number +886917742884958
While my ICQ number does start with 177, the rest of the numbers are a jumble of some of the remaining numbers from my ICQ numbers, and some other numbers.

Just for anyone who cares, +88 is from Taiwan, I think it was. And the message will most likely have gone through the message centre +886936000097, unlike Vodafone's +6421600600 (or +6421600650, etc, like ending with 660).

Chilling_Silently
13-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Surely though, just contacting ICQ.com admin's with the txt number will let them work some magic, because the txt number is linked to the ICQ account somehow, whether its noticable to us, or if they simply match up random numbers with account XYZ IYKWIM.

Either way, try and contact the ICQ Spam service!

Rod ger
13-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Yes it does seem the only resort. We'll do the abuse@ICQ thing, when we get a result I'll post back and let you know how it went.

Lohsing
13-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Yup, the abuse at ICQ is definitely the way to go... they SHOULD be able to give you the ICQ user... then you can add in the ICQ user and see who it is??!

Lo.