PDA

View Full Version : bytes received and sent.

upstage
10-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Hello busy people,
If you have a moment can you explain to me the rational or what it means?

Bytes received and bytes sent appears on the small window when I connect to My ISP
I noticed it keeps on going (adding) until the end of my session on the net. It does not mean that the page I am loading at the time is sending so many bytes but all the pages I navigate through? Do Need to know?
It has bugged me ever since I started on the net years ago. Does it mean some thing to do with traffic? I usually connect at 46 to 48 mostly 46 bps.

Graham L
10-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Basically they are counters of bytes going through your modem (or ADSL or ...). The counters are at zero each time the networking software is started.

I remember sometimes looking at the counters in a "Termina Server" which connected our terminals to the mainframes on our network. It's amazing how many million characters could be typed by just a few people in a period of a few weeks . Your counters will be much more imbalanced ... your "sent"
count will always be tiny in comparison with "received".

True, you don't need to know. :D When I was writing software I needed to know such things, so I made sure I got all the numbers for all file transfers. I suppose the writers of this software thought likewise, and put the counts on the screen (it can help in debugging). Then it's easier to leave things in than take them out. :D

When the numbers stop increasing, you can worry. :O

tommy
10-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Yes, it is to do with web traffic. Unless you are uploading files to a website then, during normal web browsing, you will always receive more bytes than you send. The bytes received are the webpages downloading into your browser for you to view, including the graphics, etc. The bytes sent are information sent to the webpage host, such as information from any cookies you may have, what browser you are using and other such details.