PDA

View Full Version : P-III 600 CPU upgrade - slocket

bardin
10-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I have an Intel Slot 1 PIII-600E. I'm stuck with the mobo as it's an HP Vectra VLi8, small form-factor proprietary case. It can apparently take up to an 800MHz CPU (wa-hoo ;)). Slot 1 CPUs above 600 MHz on trademe etc are as rare as hen's teeth and cost accordingly. So I'm looking at a slocket (socket 370 to slot 1 converter).

Questions:

Does the E in my chip designate it as a Coppermine core?
If I upgrade to a socket 370 chip that's 133 FSB, will it matter? I gather that slockets can change voltage and FSB speed...?
If I upgrade to a Tualatin core chip, will my system be able to handle it?
Is it possible to overclock this model of mobo by tweaking the FSB?
What do you think is the best possible upgrade I can do, speed-wise...Overclock the FSB to 133 (6*133=800MHz), or try to get a Tualatin chip working at 8*100? I'd think the latter as it's a more advanced core.

I'll investigate / try all of the above and let you know how I get along if anyone's interested.

(I'm more interested in this for the technical side of it, if I wanted a much faster PC I'd buy a new one...and I know I can find out a lot of this online, I will, but I'm also interested in your opinions :).

Thanks,

Brendan

Kame
10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
With Slockets you'll have to know what package you are using, I think it doesn't matter but some cheap slockets are for only specific CPUs.

I can't remember what the E stood for, either 133FSB or Coppermine. I know they use to have EB, which may mean coppermine and FSB 133.

Slockets do nothing more but convert slot to socket, you have to realise though that do you have room for a CPU on it's side as well as it's heatsink/fans etc? It's not going to be getting in the way of anything.

Everything is dependant on your motherboard, slockets may provide a voltage change, but other than that it's still your motherboard that works with FSB and Processor Speed.

kiwibeat
10-09-2003, 01:49 PM
It would be easier to sell your existing PC and buy a new one a 200 MHZ isnt going to be much of a upgrade and the chances are that any higher will not be possible on your old motherboard

bardin
10-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Yeah true, I know, I just like the idea of upgrading, always have. Don't see the point in having an old mobo that hasn't got the best CPU it can support, considering that all old CPUs should come way down in price over time. Plus 800 MHz would suit me fine for what I need to do. Hell I was using a 333 until recently and it did fine :)

Still pragmatically speaking you're correct. Plus I'd like to get rid of the proprietary case with it's no doubt crap PSU and lack or expansion room.

tweak\'e
10-09-2003, 03:51 PM
the biggest problem you have is what cpu the bios is going to support. looks like you have found that its max is 800. if you can find what motherboard/chipset it uses as you may be able to overclock it beyond that. however being an HP don't hold your breath as they are usually very limited for upgradeing.

kiwibeat
11-09-2003, 01:01 PM
The old CPUs over 400MHZ are actually extremely dear due to their scarcity value; its cheaper to buy a 2nd hand duron 1.2 cpu than a P3 500 cpu .
Same applies to scarce older Compaq ram etc

Kame
11-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I think the P3 500MHz CPU are expensive, since they were the only P3 series that introduced 512K Cache or maybe it was the 533. I think all the rest of the P3s even the newer ones had 256K Cache.