PDA

View Full Version : some file missing

Kibito
10-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Hiya. My winxp install screwed up yesterday. Everytime I tried getting into windows even in safe mode it would load drivers up till Mup.sys and then stop. None of the options would work and nor did trying to boot up from cd as it kept on bringing up the "what do you want to do" menu which shows when you dont shut down properly.

Anyway, I put the drive into this computer, formatted it with ntfs now when I try to boot up from cd it tells me -> ntldr or something like that is missing press ctrl+ alt + delete to restart. Whats this about? And how come it won't boot off the winxp cd?

Kame
10-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Is your BIOS set to boot up from the CD before IDE/HDD?

If not then you won't be able to boot from the CD, if your BIOS doesn't support booting from CD, if you've got spare floppy disks visit www.bootdisk.com ??? I think and download their disk set for installing XP from bootdisks.

Kibito
10-09-2003, 03:04 PM
K I'm thinking this is a bit wacked here.

I used this computer to install xp onto that drive. Everything went fine.
I put the drive into my actual other computer to boot up and it gives me the same error again. NTLDR missing. CTRl+Alt+delete to restart..

2. Now when I boot up from this comp it asks me if I wanna start xp pro or 2k pro (the os on this comp) even tho the drive with xp installed on it isn't even connected??

So I guess I should try the boot disks?

Kibito
10-09-2003, 03:46 PM
=o found out. My xp cd isn't bootable. Dunno how but anyway my friend told me that'd be the reason why it wouldn't boot off so I have to get another. Also that ntldr missing is coz you gotta install xp on the system you wanna use it rather than another one then move the drive.

However just wanna know when I get the cd replaced will I have to reinstall XP or will I still get that ntldr missing error?

Kame
12-09-2003, 02:44 PM
OK sounds like a problem with Hard Drive geometry not the actual installation. The computer you installed XP on, sets the geometry of the Drive, usually it's set on AUTO and if it supports LBA mode that'd be the default.

If the other computer the drive is put into does not support LBA mode, you'll need to install XP with a mode it does support e.g. Large or Normal and then put it in the other computer and set the hard drive to use Large or Normal. Whichever was the one you used for that drive.

All this is still in the BIOS settings.

Kibito
12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Ok. I reinstalled everything got a bootable cd and fixed it up.

I think I've pinpointed the problem. Macromedia Studio Mx

1. I installed it
2. During installation I got a little winxp thing saying win xp files had been replaced with dif ones, insert cd to restore.
3. Reboot after installing.
4. BAM, same error, no boot no windows.

So yea I reinstalled for about the 4th time and screw that I didn't install Studio MX and it's still working =)

I'm still not sure why studio screwed it up. I'm taking it back to the shop and getting another cd but yea. Any ideas on why or if it's a common compatibility or something error?