PDA

View Full Version : The latest salvo fired by the Recording Industry

Craigb
10-09-2003, 01:30 AM
Heard this on the US news tonight and found this (http://newsobserver.com/business/story/2852483p-2632277c.html) story on the subject in case anyones interested.

robo
10-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Interesting. That article doesn't seem quite serious, though, is that a fair dinkum newspaper? Don't normally see people quoted as saying "dadgum".

I think the recording industry is trying to stop the haemorraging. I would love to know how CD sales are tracking over recent years.
robo.

Holy Cow
10-09-2003, 07:17 AM
The Recording Industry won't beable to stop it by targeting individuals. Sure, by threatening to "sue" they might frighten off a certain percentage. The only way is to target the likes of WinMX, Kazaa - like they did with the late, great Audiogalaxy

Tony S.
10-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Read the other day CD sales are down 28% over the last three years in the States. They are also talking of dropping the price of CD's by12% to encourage sales.

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 10:16 AM
> Read the other day CD sales are down 28% over the
> last three years in the States. They are also talking
> of dropping the price of CD's by12% to encourage
> sales.

Thats what needs to happen!
If they can get most CD's down to $20 in price, I'd certainly consider more puchasing of CD's. If Singles weren't still round the $7-8 mark, maybe half that.. then I'd be keen to buy Singles too... But it so darn espensive, itd even be worth recording from the Radio!

Kame
10-09-2003, 11:51 AM
I purchase CDs that are worth purchasing, I don't mind $20-60 a CD or 2CDs, but they have to be worth it.

This percentage drop can not all be totally related to downloading, I know some bands who I use to like, decided to go mellow and that made me to decide they've lost it, and a lot of people would feel the same.

They can blame whatever they like, but they never blame the band. It's never their fault, they are just the same to their fans? Yea right, they want to tone down their music, they can just shove off... move over for someone who's willing to show anger/frustration.

By the way, I like heavy metal music.

tweak\'e
10-09-2003, 12:04 PM
i read on the net a while back that you can buy (in the states) DVD's cheaper (or at same price) than music CD's. about time they started dropping the price of cd's.

robo
10-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Reality is that we are way overcharged for CDs and DVDs, which are cheaper to manufacture than audio and video cassettes but we get stung because of perceived value.

I sit and look at the whacking big pile of music CDs and DVDs and wonder why I buy them. I haven't bought a music CD for myself in probably ten years and still have too many. I reckon some Cds wouldn't have been played more than two or three times. And then there are the ones my wife plays (like Cat Stevens, the Righteous Brothers, and other crimes against music). Sheesh. Burn the CD player!
robo.

tweak\'e
10-09-2003, 04:26 PM
>Reality is that we are way overcharged for CDs and DVDs, which are cheaper to manufacture than audio and video cassettes but we get stung because of perceived value.

exactly!

anyone know what the currant price of a cassette is? i bet they are still far cheaper than cd's dispite the fact that cd's are cheaper to make.

Holy Cow
10-09-2003, 05:28 PM
> anyone know what the currant price of a cassette is?
> i bet they are still far cheaper than cd's dispite
> the fact that cd's are cheaper to make.

Can you still buy them? I recently saw them for .99c at one of the Auckland Wharehouses. Think they were the kind of music that Robo's wife would enjoy haaaaa!

caffy
10-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Is it legal to buy an album on cassette tape, and then put it into your stereo system; hook up your computer/laptop to that and burn the contents of the cassette tape onto a blank CD?

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 08:31 PM
> >Reality is that we are way overcharged for CDs and
> DVDs, which are cheaper to manufacture than audio and
> video cassettes but we get stung because of perceived
> value.
>
> exactly!
>
> anyone know what the currant price of a cassette is?
> i bet they are still far cheaper than cd's dispite
> the fact that cd's are cheaper to make.

Try 100 DVD-R's for aorund $95... 10 CD-R's for $6...
So J-Lo, The music companies, and Soundz are getting approx. $24 between them per CD I (or rather dont) buy!
That's tons considering most albums go platinum more than once if they're any good!

robo
10-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Consider the man hours, effort, and talent, developing Battlefield 1942 or Shadowbane versus Kylie Minogue's latest album. I know the games cost up to $100, but their market is way smaller and their costs must be way higher.
robo.

Chilling_Silently
10-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Which is why I'd rather buy my games more than I would buy the latest Kylie CD if you must ;-)

But why Kylie? Why not support Local music like Scribe or Nesian Mystik :D

-=JM=-
10-09-2003, 11:07 PM
> Which is why I'd rather buy my games more than I
> would buy the latest Kylie CD if you must ;-)
>
> But why Kylie? Why not support Local music like
> Scribe or Nesian Mystik :D

Kylie is fine as long as the hotpants are on. :x

Nesian Mystik are great.

I've only heard one of scribe's works. Apparently his other work is better, I severely hope it is. The one that hit number one in NZ (ooh YAY for The Warehouse) is a heap of crap IMO.

"Yo ************ NZ hiphop got to stand the **** up"

Really brilliant music that is.

Then there is that other one "stop, drop and roll", is that meant to be for fire safety or something?

BootyLicious
10-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Try this one then 12 year old sued by the RIAA for downloading music! (http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=13529&category=main)

PoWa.
10-09-2003, 11:57 PM
I read that at around lunchtime. Quite funny actually, thinking getting kazaa premium service allows you to download illegal material - how naive.

I use kazaa for try before you buy. I've wasted too much money buying a cd and it was no good. So I use P2P to test out all the songs on an album. If I like any of them in particular I'll download a higher quality version of the song - instead of wasting money on buying the whole album with only one good song on it. Otherwise if there is 4 or more great songs on an album I'll buy the cd - purely because I can get better quality sound than from an mp3, and then I can create my own compilations of it.

I don't think filesharers have clicked on yet to lossless audio compression. Maybe its just too big, but I don't mind 20Mbs per song if someones willing to share it. 20Mbs on "broadband" (128k) is nothing really.

Susan B
11-09-2003, 09:34 AM
> Is it legal to buy an album on cassette tape, and then put it into your stereo system; hook up your computer/laptop to that and burn the contents of the cassette tape onto a blank CD?

I don't think it is legal, Caffy, but if you are wanting to backup older cassettes and albums that you cannot find CDs for then who cares if it is legal or not, just do it. I have done it with all my old tapes so that I can play them on the PC and CD player instead of tape deck.

Besides, I had to back up my old tapes in case they got chewed up, the way some of my favorites met their fate. :-(

Steve Askew
11-09-2003, 09:43 AM
> Try 100 DVD-R's for aorund $95... 10 CD-R's for
> $6...

Hey chill,where do you get 100 DVD-R's for $95 ???/

local retailers are about $5 - $7 each

cheers Steve

somebody
11-09-2003, 04:45 PM
The thing is that a majority of people using file-sharing software are on dial-up connections. It also saves space on people's computers, where a song takes up 5mb instead of 20mb.

Lohsing
11-09-2003, 05:55 PM
> > Try 100 DVD-R's for aorund $95... 10 CD-R's for
> > $6...
>
>
> Hey chill,where do you get 100 DVD-R's for $95 ???/
>
> local retailers are about $5 - $7 each
>
> cheers Steve

I bought 50 Princo 4X DVD-R on a spindle from CTech PC for around $100. Not a bad deal! :)

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
11-09-2003, 06:35 PM
> Try this one then
>
>
> 12 year old sued by the RIAA for downloading
> music! (http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=13529&category
> main)

There's some interesting articles at http://newsforge.com ATM regarding settlements:

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/03/09/10/2310210.shtml?tid=17

Steve Askew
11-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey Lo, since Chill isn't going to tell me where to get 100 DVD-r's for $95 :-( maybe you can tell me where ctech is Or point me to a website as I don't see them on pricespy.
That price sounds ok to me.

Cheers Steve

Chilling_Silently
11-09-2003, 07:37 PM
I got it from some random email from the CyberCafe.. They get their fair share of them..
Optical Mice from $4 with a scroll-wheel!
It was a one-day only thingy.. sadly I missed it (Wasnt working that day, bugger!)

Steve Askew
11-09-2003, 07:50 PM
OK Thanks chill

Cheers Steve

Lohsing
11-09-2003, 08:50 PM
CTech PC (http://www.ctechpc.co.nz).

Best to call up and ask when they are getting their Princo DVD-R spindles in again... they go like hot cakes!! :)

Lo.

Steve Askew
12-09-2003, 06:17 AM
Thanks Lo, Do you happen to know their email address? I can't seem to find it on their site :-(

Thanks Steve

Lohsing
12-09-2003, 08:01 AM
I think it's something like

sales at ctechpc dot co dot nz

Try that... if it doesn't work, I'll call them up and find out for you!

Lo.

Steve Askew
12-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Hey Lo, I sent an email to that address at 9.30 this morning & haven't had a reply yet :-( Mind you it never came back as undeliverable either .

Cheers Steve

Steve Askew
15-09-2003, 11:49 AM
> I think it's something like
>
> sales at ctechpc dot co dot nz
>
> Try that... if it doesn't work, I'll call them up and
> find out for you!
>
> Lo.

Hi Lo, I havent heard anything back from ctechpc yet ,
I was wondering if you could give them a ring & see if the email address you gave me is correct ?

Thanks Steve

Lohsing
15-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Yup sure.... how about you email me, and I'll act as your go between!?

lo at equinoxgroup dot co dot nz.

Cheers,

Lo.

Lohsing
15-09-2003, 12:51 PM
$130 + GST for 50 "4X" DVD-Rs... Princo branded.

Should be in stock tomorrow or day after.

Let me know and I'll get them to set one bundle aside for you.

Lo.