PDA

View Full Version : Skybot

Oliver
04-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Taking advice from the Sept. ""PC World"', I installed Skybot Search and Destroy. I run WinXP with Ad-aware and a firewall (Zone Alarm). The new programme identified a number of "'holes", mostly cookies, which I deleted. The odd thing was that I found then that I could not access my ISP (Xtra). In Network Connections on the control panel, I found the Xtra connection had been disconnected. Corrected this by right-clicking on the icon, and checking "'connect"'. All OK so far. A friend also lost his ISP connection. He uninstalled Skybot, but then found he had to disable Zone Alarm to access Xtra. In Zone alarm, his OE and IE are green-ticked, but it seems the programme will not recognise his ISP. He is still working out how to do this. My questions are (1) how should he do this, and (2) are others having problems with Skybot? I haven't uninstalled Skybot - yet!
Oliver.

kirrie kiwi
04-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Oliver did you have a good read of the tutorial with spybot as it explains most things. I have had spybot running on my pc for a year with xp[ home and adaware also zone guard and havent had any problem. I never use adaware now as spybot seems to pick up everything. kk

robsonde
04-09-2003, 03:28 PM
I cant help with the problem as such but I can tell you that the program that you have is called "spybot" and not "skybot"

Murray P
04-09-2003, 03:30 PM
I have not come across this problem with SpyBot. All I can think of is perhaps your friend was a little enthusiastic with what they fixed when SpyBot was run. If there are common/shared files (say .dll's) that are required to run certain operations, like dialing out, and these files are used by a hijacker or dialler then you have to be carefull not to delete (fix) them along with the maleware.

Try the rescue utility in SpyBot to roll back a little. You may need to fix all over again though, leaving the good files.

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix
04-09-2003, 04:02 PM
I must say that I have had no problems on my PC and also others whom I have loaded it onto their PC's too. The only thing I can think of is that you maybe have ticked the "usage tracks" under settings-file sets. It can rid some things that people want to keep.