PDA

View Full Version : Redhat 5.2 graphics drivers

smashedlittlebugger
02-09-2003, 05:36 PM
I have a laptop that was released around '95. I have installed redhat 5.2 on it and I need some drivers for the graphics card. SuperProbe said that I have:
Chipset: Chips & Tech F65546
Memory: 1024kb
RAMDAC: Generic 8-bit pseudo-colour DAC

Does anybody know where I can find drivers for my card (becasue im a little intimidated by all the drivers out there) and some instructions on how to install it (from something like a floppy)?

Gorela
02-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi smashed,

I would suggest that you go here (http://jamesthornton.com/redhat/5.2/Installation-Guide-x86/doc042.htm) and have a read how to install the drivers. This page explains how to install the X system during the initial set-up, but have a read anyway. ;)

Once you have read the above page log in and su to root. Then type xconfigurator at the prompt. This will start the utility needed to set-up your graphics card. When it comes time to tell the program your graphics details you can check the list of supported cards (looking specifically for the one you mentioned) and if it isn't there you should be given the option to configure manually using the additional details you outlined above.

HTH

JohnD
02-09-2003, 09:02 PM
xconfigurator is Xconfigurator with a capital X.

John

Graham L
03-09-2003, 01:15 PM
That machine is probably old enough that you don't need any "drivers". With only 1 MB of video ram, it will just be a VGA or SVGA, and will be automatically handled by the X Window configurartor.

I had the inverse problem ... I have a fairly new laptop, and I couldn't get RH5.2 to make a usable X Window system, because it had an odd video chip set. I had to install Mandrake 9.0 to get it working. :-(

smashedlittlebugger
07-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Don't worry, I got it working. The drivers were listed under a different but similar name... Thanks anyway

mark.p
07-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Good on ya.