PDA

View Full Version : Norton Disc Doctor-System Works 2003

frossy13
02-09-2003, 01:48 AM
Running Windows Xp Home Edition

Tried to run the Fix with Disc Doctor but it says, the operating system or another process currently has exlusive use of my drive and wont proceed. I tried Ctrl/alt/del and in the processes their are 44 items a commit charge of 274672K with 7% cpu usage.

Are all these loading on Start-up how do I know which ones I don't need??? If it helps I can list the but it wont let me cut&past so would have to do it manually.

The little CPU box has come up on my icon bar - a little green square

DMcKenzie
02-09-2003, 02:29 AM
I think you want to tick 'fix all errors' then schedule it within the program to run the test when you next reboot.

Jen C
02-09-2003, 09:13 PM
> Running Windows Xp Home Edition
>
> Are all these loading on Start-up how do I know which
> ones I don't need??? If it helps I can list the but
> it wont let me cut&past so would have to do it
> manually.

You can stop unwanted programs loading automatically at startup. First look for an option within the program itself to stop it auto-loading at startup. Then you can use msconfig to remove any other unwanted programs loading. To do this go Start > Run type in msconfig and click OK. Click on the Startup tab. Use this site Pacs-portal (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm) to look up each item listed. It will tell you what the program does and whether it can be disabled safely. After sorting out the Startup list, click apply and OK. When the computer reboots you will see a message about using Selective Startup for troubleshooting, just tick the box "don't show this message again" and click OK.

Jen

frossy13
02-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi
I once used diagnostic start-up and I had to reactivate because WIndoows couldn't find its password.... It crashed the machine.