PDA

View Full Version : Amazon is it safe to purchase - Any experiences?

frossy13
02-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Look to have some excellent stuff at reasonable prices anybody had good or bad experiences??

-=JM=-
02-09-2003, 12:48 AM
I have used them once and my stepdad has used them many times. They're great.

DMcKenzie
02-09-2003, 01:28 AM
They ship to NZ now?! Last I read they only shipped to US and canada. I was going to buy like 3boxed dvd sets :\

Terry Porritt
02-09-2003, 07:57 AM
I have bought most of my computer books from them over several years. Excellent service and delivery, and cheaper than NZ retail even including delivery charges (over a certain value of course).

caffy
02-09-2003, 08:18 AM
> They ship to NZ now?! Last I read they only shipped
> to US and canada. I was going to buy like 3boxed dvd
> sets :\

As far as I know, they've been shipping to NZ for years. I can vaguely remember my dad ordering some cds, back in 1998 or thereabouts.

Good company, we have bought many books, cds, Dvds from Amazon.com

simonc
02-09-2003, 08:19 AM
I have purchased about 20 DVD's from Amazon.
There has never been any problem with delivery or returns.

I would highly reccond Amazon!

CYaBro
02-09-2003, 08:41 AM
My Dad purchases stuff from Amazon on a regular basis and they are great!

olldaddy76
02-09-2003, 10:08 AM
I have purchased many times 10+ from Amazon especially lately when the U S $ has been so much in our favor.......but I have made the mistake of getting ..example...camera.... batteries..... memory card..... and not made sure they all came from the same original source with the result being higher indivual freight charges....so although AMAZON is one of the best there are traps for young players as I have experienced.....

Billy T
02-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Purchased books and CDs

Used book about music composers came by first class airmail from UK in 1 week, as-new condition and half NZ price. CD (by US comedian) was shipped from Germany, took 10 days. Technical book from US arrived in 1 week, 60% of NZ price and weeks faster than a local technical book supplier could get it.

So far, so good, all my internet purchases have been successful and the products excellent, including software. I use Visa for payment.

The only restrictions on international shipping that I have found are from Ebay sellers and some US on-line shops. Always check the international shipping methods offered though, and try to use airmail as Couriers can cost phenomenal amounts. Spending a little time arranging the cheapest delivery method will save you heaps and in my experience there is little between the cheapest and most expensive in terms of delivery times.

UPS is particularly bad as they use a "box volume" formula to calculate weight. This means that a box of tissues would cost around $NZ100 to ship from the US. I had a 600gm instrument shipped and the freight was $NZ130. To their credit the supplier refunded the freight in full as their shipping department had ignored my request for airmail.

Couriers are also likely to incur freight handling and customs charges while in my experience this does not occur with mail, though I did have customs delays and charges on incoming airmail from Sweden.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

FrankS
02-09-2003, 11:29 AM
If you have a look at the Customs and Excise web site you will find that if the GST is NZ$50 or below (item cost NZ$400 or less) the item will not be held by Customs for charges to be paid.
Have used Amazon over the years with no problems, like many other things if it comes with all the right paperwork it keeps Customs happy.

Shane
02-09-2003, 11:48 AM
I've had no problems with them. I've ordered from Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de (German Amazon), as well as Amazon.com. I usually get music, although my most recent purchase was the Boogie Nights DVD (region 1) that arrived a few days earlier that projected. I don't bother with the high speed sending option, and just choose the cheapest. Your item will probably arrive sooner than the projected time anyway. I've never had items arriving late.

colmack
02-09-2003, 11:56 AM
I once had to buy a book I didn't want because I tried to cancel what I thought was a tentative order, only to discover that it was confirmed and wheels were turning that couldn't be reversed. High delivery charges for a single item would have made a return doubly wasteful of my money. Silly me. My fault, but I'll be more careful in future.

Shane
02-09-2003, 12:00 PM
If you want to make note of a book (without committing yourself) for possible purchase later, there is a Wish List function you can use. On the item page, there should be an "Add To Wish List" button. Then when you are ready to purchase it you can view your wish list and purchase as many or as few of the items there as you wish. I've found it very useful although I haven't yet purchased anything from my Wish List yet. I've got about 30-ish books on there.

paradox
03-09-2003, 01:02 AM
I recently bought my first DVDs but got them from Barnes & Noble. I searched thru Amazon but was put off by one DVD that was listed available on one page but out of stock on another. Barnes and Noble had the same DVDs and I just liked the feel of their site so that's where I got them. Heaps of feedback during the transaction and shipping. But I think Amazon is OK...lots of my friends say nothing bad about them.
cheers ...Ken

Pheonix
03-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Delt with them for 3 years now with no problems. Only warning is beware of the "second hand" gear if it isn't supplied by Amazon themselves. There have been instances of nothing being sent. But absolutely nothing wrong with Amazon themselves.

nzStan
03-09-2003, 09:50 AM
I remember trying to buy online from local retailers like Dymocks and Whitcoulls and it took 2 weeks (and several calls to track where my consignment is) before I receive delivery.

I've also purchased from Amazon before and fastest I've seen was placed order on Friday afternoon and I received the manuals on Monday morning when I returned to office. That is what I call efficient service. Only wish the local retailers can work like that.