PDA

View Full Version : FTP, SMASHING MY HEAD INTO A WALL

Googe
01-09-2003, 09:33 PM
HI
, I need some help bad, I am running a XP Pro box with SP1 connected to paradise cable net , For some reason i cant access any FTP sites"WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THIS FOLDER" comes up, The strange thing is.......

If i reboot my computer and then quickly try to access any ftp sites i can get in but only for about 60secs and then my hard drive goes mad for about 5 secs and then all access is stoped to FTP sites only. I can surf and check mail with out any problems, i have had a look on the net and they talk about the passive ftp mode etc and i have tried all of these . Please has anybody else had this problem, I need to sort this out urgently.

Yes i have tried all the ftp sites i could think of but none of them work.

I have tried turning off my firewall and still no success.

I have recently installed service pack 1, but i dont know how long i have had this problem as it was only apparent recently when i tried to download REDHAT from a local ftp server. Is this a problem with SP1 maybe, If so can i get rid of it.

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ help me

Thanks heaps in advance

James

stu140103
01-09-2003, 09:51 PM
> , I need some help bad, I am running a XP Pro box
> ox with SP1 connected to paradise cable net , For
> some reason i cant access any FTP sites"WINDOWS
> CANNOT ACCESS THIS FOLDER" comes up, The strange
> thing is.......
>
> If i reboot my computer and then quickly try to
> access any ftp sites i can get in but only for about
> 60secs and then my hard drive goes mad for about 5
> secs and then all access is stoped to FTP sites only.
> I can surf and check mail with out any problems, i
> have had a look on the net and they talk about the
> passive ftp mode etc and i have tried all of these .
> Please has anybody else had this problem, I need to
> sort this out urgently.
>
> Yes i have tried all the ftp sites i could think of
> but none of them work.

Are you using IE( Microsoft Internet Explorrer) to access the FTP sites????
IE or a FTP Program????? If you are using IE try repairing it.

Mike
01-09-2003, 09:52 PM
What firewall are you using? I suspect it's your firewall (I used to have trouble with FTP sites due to my firewall). If you turn off your firewall, are you also sure that the XP firewall is also off?

Mike.

Mike
01-09-2003, 09:54 PM
> Are you using IE( Microsoft Internet Explorrer) to
> access the FTP sites????
> IE or a FTP Program????? If you are using IE try
> repairing it.

Good point - try using a proper FTP program rather than Internet Explorer to connect to FTP. You should get any error messages or whatnot through the connection process.

Mike.

stu140103
01-09-2003, 09:54 PM
> , I need some help bad, I am running a XP Pro box
> ox with SP1 connected to paradise cable net , For
> some reason i cant access any FTP sites"WINDOWS
> CANNOT ACCESS THIS FOLDER" comes up, The strange
> thing is.......
>
> If i reboot my computer and then quickly try to
> access any ftp sites i can get in but only for about
> 60secs and then my hard drive goes mad for about 5
> secs and then all access is stoped to FTP sites only.
> I can surf and check mail with out any problems, i
> have had a look on the net and they talk about the
> passive ftp mode etc and i have tried all of these .
> Please has anybody else had this problem, I need to
> sort this out urgently.
>
> Yes i have tried all the ftp sites i could think of
> but none of them work.
>
> I have tried turning off my firewall and still no
> success.

Are you using IE( Microsoft Internet Explorrer) to access the FTP sites????
IE or a FTP Program????? If you are using IE try repairing it.

can you also post a link to one of the FTP sites & some one can have a look and see if it is your end or the server's end

Googe
01-09-2003, 10:02 PM
I am using IE to access the ftp but i have also tried ftp programs with the same problem, I will download cuteftp and see what the connection error is, i will post the error msg on here,

I have tried FTP sites like, FTP.jetstreamgames.co.nz

Its not the site as like i said i can acces it for about 60 secs, and it not just one site its many,

Its not my firwall as i have disabled it and yes i have also disabled my XP firewall

Thanks for you suggestions , will come back to u soon.

stu140103
01-09-2003, 10:56 PM
I have IE 5.5 & I have no problems accessing: ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz
So I am guessing it is your end :(

So what I suggest is reinstall IE or see what cuteftp says.

jend
02-09-2003, 03:39 PM
I am having the same problems. I wondered if it was something to do with the Blaster patch as that is the only change I have made to my system recently. I am also using a paradise cable, and cannot "see" the files on any of my websites (either Paradise or Xtra). Like you I have disabled my firewall (even uninstalled it) but it makes no difference.

If you worked out how to solve this problem please please let me know.
cheers
jen

Kame
02-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Instead of disabling the firewall, create a rule that allows you to connect to port 21 from IE on your PC, I don't know anything about cable modems due to not being able to get cable in my area but if it's similar to an ethernet router set that up to allow port 21.

I've updated the patch from Windows and am not having trouble connecting to it, although my router supports NAPT or NATP (always forget, too use to NAT) which handles most the problems that was faced when using NAT.

Googe
02-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey that could be it as i have just installed the blaster patch myself, tha could be the problem , ill keep looking to find any solution and ill let you know

Googe
03-09-2003, 12:13 AM
I have fixed the problem i think, I am running sygate firewall and all i did was loaded it up and all of a sudden i could surf the ftps again, i then closed it and could still surf the ftps, if i restart my computer i cant access them untill i start my firewall so there must be a process running from my firewall that is stopping data on port 21 untill its is loaded up? maybe, **** it works for me.lol