PDA

View Full Version : OT Reflecting

beetle
31-08-2003, 02:25 PM
this is a speel and if wish not to read crap then change posts.

live and let others live peacefully.

today just for once i wish people to not see just them for a change,(see it from others point of veiw for once)
we come to pf1 for help, warmth and laughter.

yes we come to pf 1 for help, most of us ask really stupid non understanding questions and a lot of people jump to instant conclusions ..... because we cannot word it correctly or used the wrong word for seach on pf1.

and then some of us ask because of the unknown aspect that something has changed and dont know whether it is good or bad.

i am constantly both on and off pf1 told to watch what i say or do, i have been told i tell you too much for safety and then not enough for good responsive help.

also a lot of us are here just for company or to belittle others or wish there was not a thing called a newbie,

then there are some or us that a day to day struggle of normal life is bad enough without being told dont be stupid or get over it when we already know this but dont rub it in too someone you dont know.

when a newbie joins pf1 we should be warm and welcoming and not belittle there struggles with the machines that a lot of you know inside outside and upside down.

for me i have a failing as i always am aware things may go wrong and most of it is operator trouble but i beleive that this computer had a faulty problem right from the start and did not know that and to be told by others its normal is easy, but normal for someone like me is way different thier is no such thing as normal.

and sorry about the grump but i feel we should respect all others input regardless if they have posted once or heaps (thousands).

and most of us like pf1 for the warm happy family feeling that its has as we all care about each other and want whats best not to jump down each others throats.

if people dont care then the earth's future will be a sorry place.

a sad non normal,
beetle

Thomas
31-08-2003, 02:54 PM
No good feeling sad Beet. the world will go on either way,so you may as well be happy.
There are all types on here,the kind helpfull types,like you and me and of course one or two others,so lets cheer up and keep a stiff upper lip.

Dolby Digital
31-08-2003, 02:57 PM
>>when a newbie joins pf1 we should be warm and welcoming and not belittle there struggles with the machines that a lot of you know inside outside and upside down.
Here, here. Most don't realise that it might be a good idea first to do a search on their problem either in PF1 or a search engine (they might even say "Whats a search engine?").

Mike
31-08-2003, 03:31 PM
> >>when a newbie joins pf1 we should be warm and
> welcoming and not belittle there struggles with the
> machines that a lot of you know inside outside and
> upside down.
> Here, here. Most don't realise that it might be a
> good idea first to do a search on their problem
> either in PF1 or a search engine (they might even say
> "Whats a search engine?").

Exactly - politely asking for more information, and suggesting what info should be given is far nicer and more welcoming to both new and old than the short sharp "we're not mind-readers - need more info" replies that seem to be appearing more and more lately. If you need more info, then explain what info you need.

Mike.

mark.p
31-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Being new here I must say this forum is not bad at all at all. And compared to some Usenet groups it is fantastic. Just my 2ps worth............

Thomas
31-08-2003, 04:57 PM
...>Exactly - politely asking for more information, and suggesting what >info .should be given is far nicer and more welcoming to both new and >old than the short sharp "we're not mind-readers - need more info" >replies that seem to be appearing more and more lately. If you need >more info, then explain what info you need.

Exactly,they are very naughty.

Mike.

Holy Cow
31-08-2003, 05:32 PM
> ...>Exactly - politely asking for more information,
> and suggesting what >info .should be given is far
> nicer and more welcoming to both new and >old than
> the short sharp "we're not mind-readers - need more
> info" >replies that seem to be appearing more and
> more lately. If you need >more info, then explain
> what info you need.
>
> Exactly,they are very naughty.
>
> Mike.
>

To think you sometimes call yourself Thomas.

Susan B
31-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey Beetle, don't let the unimportant people's sniping get to you, who cares what they say and think? As long as you have friends here you can disregard the uncharitable ones. :-)

Elephant
31-08-2003, 07:06 PM
>yes we come to pf 1 for help, most of us ask really stupid non >understanding questions and a lot of people jump to instant >conclusions ..... because we cannot word it correctly or used the wrong >word for seach on pf1.

There is no such thing as a stupid question Beetle!!!

You have to remember though, that those of us whom try to help do not see on our Monitor what you are seeing on yours. I can certainly understand your frustration but I am not a mind reader.

You mention something changes but only you know what.

We have, in this forum, people that know what they are doing and people that don't. The people that don't know want help and the people that do know try to help.

I don't know EVERYTHING about computers and I don't think I ever will.
This in spite of first programming a Burroughs B3500 Mainframe computer back in 1968. The first PC I owned was a Sega SC3000.
I have used MSDOS 3.3 to version 6.22, Windows 3.11 and every Windows to XP. Tried OS/2, NT4, BEoS.

It wasn't until about 7 years ago that I actually opened a computer. It wasn't mine and the Guy wanted a CDRom drive installed. I told him I knew NOTHING about hardware and I DIDN't want to know. He pleaded and I stayed. It took the two of us 5 - 6 hours to install the CDRom drive into a ( now empty ) 5 1/4 inch drive bay which had been occupied by a
5 1/4 inch 360 Kb floppy drive.

After doing that I thought "That wasn't so difficult" :-) So I decided to install a CDRom drive in my computer. I guess that only took two hours on my own. From there the rest is history.

I now build computers for other people but they are not built to a PRICE.

I use Soltek, Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. Never has one of those failed. Of all the computers I have built I have only ever had to return one Modem for warranty. Some RAM you get these days though can be dodgy and so when building a computer I start by getting all the parts. ( usually a good idea )

First read manual. Once upon a time these were written in Jenglish, ( short for Japanese and English)

Check for Jumpers etc.

Insert CPU into socket. Place CPU fan on CPU ensuring thermal paste is between the two.

Insert RAM..... Hope you read the manual again.

Insert Motherboard into case. Connect power buttons etc so you can turn it on.

Insert Video card

NOTE:- No floppy, Hard drive or CDRom, Modem, Network etc inserted yet.

Does it boot into BIOS? If yes then insert Floppy.

So on and so forth.

stu140103
31-08-2003, 07:10 PM
> live and let others live peacefully.

I agree with you their beetle :)

I am stick & tired of getting shot it for every little mistake I make e.g. from spelling error to give wrong advise etc… if some one makes a mistake e.g. giving wrong advise or a spelling error then wait & see if they correct it, if not then kindle say that you made a mistake, instead of making a BIG deal about it!

& If you cannot read or understand some ones post then kindle ask what they mean etc….

No one is perfect!

beetle
31-08-2003, 07:20 PM
sorry Elephant not picking on anyone deliberatly but i do find if i dont get a answer that explains itself i will reword or ask again sometimes multiples of the same question and then get complaints as i should have got it first time and i didnt.

i have come to the conclusion me and computers are going to have a limited life if and when i finish school, i am hopefully not going to spend so much frustrating time in front of the puter.

i feel guilty enough doing this sort of thing when i should be doing lots of other stuff, and then it usually goes wrong any way. and assignments dont do themselves, also my googling has not got me any great pace for my assignments and the local library dread me visiting, as they usually dont have what i require anyway.

but im just disapointed at the few who are quick to find fault, when all we want is understanding.

thanxs to all who have and are willing to help.

and im just waiting for the next blow to be done, i have got to the stage i am driven to check things on the puter but are on edge at times for an answer to my posts and at times are crushed by these responses depending on how my day is going or not as the case may be, and feel im too sensitive and at times bluster my way through because no one can see me anyway.......

thanxs

getting better

beetle

mark.p
31-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Well beetle go here-http://trademe.co.nz/structure/messageboard/show_threads.asp?topic=3
Nice folk willing to help. Re google, its a very good tool........

Fire-and-Ice
31-08-2003, 10:10 PM
> Well beetle go
> here-http://trademe.co.nz/structure/messageboard/show_
> hreads.asp?topic=3
> Nice folk willing to help. Re google, its a very good
> tool........

Those people really ought to be told about Press F1.... some of the answers to those posts are shocking! :O