PDA

View Full Version : XP Professional

g4rs
31-08-2003, 08:27 AM
Doog morning lla. Lovely day here in the BOP. Hope it's the same for you wherever you may be.
I have purchased XP Professional and wish to upgrade from 98SE. Can I do this successfully or are there issues I need to address before doing this.
I know I may have to upgrade some other software that I am currently using e.g. Corel Draw 7.
All comments appreciated.
And for anyone who is interested in local music, just purchased Bic Rungas latest, Beautiful Collision. Support local music!!!!
Regards,

phylip
31-08-2003, 09:55 AM
i have upgraded just make sure you have got a back up of all your documents you want to keep just in case and back up your address book
as for all your drivers i found that xp had all of mine except for my onboard sound driver which is an ac97

tommy
31-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Most software that you are using in Windows 98 should run in Windows XP but some programs released prior to Windows 98, eg for Windows 95 or DOS will not. Some programs may be able to run in compatibility mode. Not all hardware will run in Windows XP due to manufacturers not updating drivers. Once Win XP is installed you can use the Program Compatibility Wizard to see what will run and what will not. It is preferable that your upgrade is performed on a "clean" machine, ie one that has been formatted for a clean install of Win XP unless you wish to dual boot. Do remember that all data will be lost in a format unless backed up to external sources such as CDs or another hard drive.

stu140103
31-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Also you might want to do a search of pf1 & see what other things you need to watch out for when upgrading :)

Susan B
31-08-2003, 05:08 PM
The Microsoft site (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;winxpstart) has some good information that may be useful.

vk_dre
31-08-2003, 06:00 PM
R u doin a fresh installation or just overwriting the Win PLatform, u could import ur files to XP wit that inbuilt feature they offer on the Win Xp cd, i think......

chiefnz
31-08-2003, 06:25 PM
What are your system specs?

I would say you need t least a 800Mhz CPU, 512MB RAM.

Don't be fooled by anyone who says that 384MB is suffucient. If you want to take advantage of XP's power... more is definitely better.

hope that helps a bit

mark.p
31-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Bloat ya mean don't you?

kiwibeat
31-08-2003, 08:09 PM
I have corel draw 9 somewhere and though Xp is a very stable O/S it does need lots of ram and a HDD space as well as a fast CPU.
Its the phone home and activation that I dont like especially as it will be user pays on a regular basis to keep Bills wallet nice and full .

Scouse
31-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi q4rs
I recently upgraded from Win98 2nd Ed to XP Pro with virtually no problems.
XP and/or Outlook Express for some reason did not like my old internal modem - I bought an external and all is well.
I still had several in-use databases and label making files on the old Works 4.5 - over a number of years I had been too lazy to translate them to versions 97 or 2000 and anyway they run well on 4.5. XP warned me that it would not like 4.5 so I backed up the contents and XP deleted 4.5, BUT allowed me to reinstall the Works 4.5 package and I simply restored from the backup - still use it for the databases and label making.
Go for broke. It works well. Scouse.

PoWa
31-08-2003, 11:53 PM
XP only uses about 100+mbs of ram when your not doing anything or light tasks. I have 384mbs of ram and really its not too bad. I can play games fine etc. But you might be right I could probably see even better performance if I got another 128-256 more ram.

Scouse
01-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi q4rs
Re my earlier posting - sorry, forgot to mention that my old box has 768 MB of RAM.

dotcommander
01-09-2003, 12:52 PM
...and dont forget to back up your favourites...

agent
01-09-2003, 11:10 PM
I completely disagree with some of those statements.

I presently run XP Professional on a Celeron 800MHz, with 256MB of RAM, a 40GB HDD, and an aging ATI AIWP 8MB graphics card.

It ran perfectly fine. I could play all my favourite games, like Quake 3, Max Payne, and HL (plus mods) on it. It's not the best of systems, but it copes very well. Like I said, I could play those games. And those were before my specifications upgrades (ie, 500MHz and 96MB of RAM, running Win ME - I also ran XP trial on that, and it coped reasonably).

Now, though, I've taken off XP's visual settings, so it looks more Win9X style, and it runs faster. I've also tweaked it to my likings, so it runs better for my needs.

So there you go, some evidence that Windows XP does not need 512MB of RAM...

godfather
02-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Of 5 systems here running XP, 2 are 600 MHz Celerons. One of those maxes out at 192 MB ram (laptop). The other has shared 256 MB.

They run just fine. Its impossible to test them under game type software as the graphics would be a problem anyway.

Another PC has a 667 MHz P3, 256 MB ram. It handles games just as well as it did running windows 98, its much more stable under XP though.

JamesStewart
02-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Ok, you people are extremly wrong sorry. One of my firends (who isn't the rishest person you would know) is running Windows XP Pro on a P 1 400MHz, 128mb's of sd ram and a 20gb hd and a onboard 2mb graphics and though loading XP takes about 2~3 minutes from boot up, he has no problems at all. And none of the visual's have been turned off! I have even installed a hell of alot of software and the patch for the theming of XP (so you can add any Visual Style you want) on his system and no problems at all. Can run Quake III fine and Half Life (and mods).

Just thought I would point out that XP isn't as system demanding as people would think :)

tbacon_nz
02-09-2003, 09:42 AM
I agree also about the system requirements. I have just (last w/e) installed XP home on a 450mhz PIII with 384mb RAM (clean install) and the install went really easily, the network detection and Internet connection was automatic (through the LAN) and so far it has worked well. It is not going to be used for heavy gaming, mainly WP, email and surfing, but so far my experience has been good and the performance quite acceptable.