PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro-Profiles

hamstar
31-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Somehow my brother has stuffed up the user profiles on my dads computer.

There is one user profile on my dads computer. It is called Dad's Computer. However it used to be called Administrator so thats the folders name in the Documents and Settings.

My brother tried to create a new one called Everybody's. However, after creating it, he logged out to check that it worked, and dad's profile had disappeared. I don't know what he did now but he tried to fix it.

On logging back in later, dad found that all his Outlook contacts, emails, tasks etc were missing along with the recent programs list on the start menu. On opening task manager we found that the only user active was everybody's however at the logon screen only dad's profile remained. So I logged out this user and we were logged out of dads profile.

The D&S is like this:
Administrator (dads)
All Users
Default Users
Everybody's (new)

My theory is that my dads profile name and some settings have been put overtop the Everybody's folder. In the control panel, only dads profile is present. On copying the Outlook.pst file from Administrator over to the mirror folder on Everybody's all dads Outlook stuff was back.

So now we need to know how to move dads profile back overtop the Administrator folder. I tried using the registry editor to find the directory reference but didn't really know where to start.

How could this had happened in the first place?
Anyway hope someone knows how to fix this.

Cheers
.ham

tommy
31-08-2003, 10:21 AM
You could try going to System Properties (Win key+Pause), Advanced, User Profiles Settings and move or copy the profiles from within there. Note that you may not be able to delete any profiles while in that profile, it will need to be done from another user account. You will also not be able to delete the Administrator account.

hamstar
31-08-2003, 02:00 PM
cool, I'll give it a try... :-)