PDA

View Full Version : Application error - memory could not be "read"

PoWa
28-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Hi all, I'm getting this error when I run some games / watch some divx on my pc/ or do something video related. I know it definitely causes this error when I open a divX in Winamp2.9 - and it didn't before:

The Instruction at "0x1800309e" referenced memory at "0x1800309e". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I've had a search on google, and on this forum. I think one idea to fix it was to change the "AGP aperture size" in the bios to 128Mb - it was at 64mb before. That hasn't worked.

Thing is I was never getting this message before when using the exact same programs. I think this started happening the other day after I had been into the BIOS to make sure all the default settings were correct.

I changed a few things like the "Video Bios shadow" to disabled, and "AGP fastwrites" to disabled. Prior to this, things were going ok. I have a piece of paper that came with the PC, that has all the default bios settings on it (when the computer was first made.) So I was following that as a guideline. I've tried putting it back to what it was, still no difference.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is me upgrading the new Detonator drivers and there being something wrong with them?? I think I upgraded the drivers at the same time as I changed the settings in the bios (which was why I was rebooting cos I never usually have to reboot).

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this problem? Running a 1.1athlon with XP pro, and 384ram with GF4mx440 64mb.

PoWa
28-08-2003, 11:59 PM
<>

rsnic
29-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Try reinstall the graphics drivers again and if that fails then go back to the old ones, make sure you close virus checkers etc when you do. Love those criptic messages that windows gives you. Its not uncommon for drivers to not always install themselves quite right.

Murray P
29-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Check out Billy T's threads, about a week ago about a similar error. His was ram, but most of these type of errors appear to be to do with drivers and graphics. There are some links posted in the thread.

Cheers Murray P

PoWa
29-08-2003, 01:31 PM
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers, however that hasn't worked. I might try going back to the old drivers.

I don't think BillyT's problem was related to mine, I think mine is stuffed because of something I did in the bios. Anyone know what agp fastwrites and video bios shadow do?

godfather
29-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Video BIOS shadow is self explanatory, the Video BIOS code is "shadowed" into RAM. Access to RAM is faster than EPROM, so by copying the code into RAM it gives a speed advantage.

Why would you want to turn it off? Normally you leave it on unless it causes a problem.

godfather
29-08-2003, 01:55 PM
AGP Fast Write can increase video speed roughly 1-5%

Fast Write allows the computer to send video-based calls directly to the video card, thereby bypassing the system's main memory system.

It should be turned off only if its causing a problem.

Overall, you seem to be intent on decreasing the video performance of your system for some reason?

yang11
29-08-2003, 02:26 PM
I sometimes got that kind of err in my w2000. my one is like random error.

Graham L
29-08-2003, 02:45 PM
The instruction is referencing its own location. Odd. Very Odd Indeed. Did someone programme a very fast infinite loop?

About the only reason you would want to diable video bios shadowing is when running an OS (like Linux) whcih doen't use it, and can make better use of the memory.

I'm not sure about the AGP aperture size. If the board has 64 MB, a setting of 128 Mb seems excessive to me. Of course, I am ignorant of such modern things --- which all seem excessive to me: the first video card I built had 1kB of ram on it ... ;-)

rsnic
29-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Video shadow is more a legacy option these days since graphics cards will do it automatically anyhow so its best to leave this off however most operating systems bypass it so your pretty safe either way. Go back to the old drivers and give them a go since this is most likely the problem. The error message is pretty irrelevant since missing vital details, microsoft like to keep you in the dark.

PoWa
29-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Ok I've turned AGP fastwrites and shadowing on again in the bios, thanks for the enlightenment there fellas. Strangely in the PCco default/ settings for the motherboard it has AGP fast writes disabled - but that might have been more specific to the gf2mx200 card I had in when the compuer was purchased.

I have since also removed the newer nvidia drivers (not completely because Detonator-RIP wouldn't work and was giving the same error when I tried to run it. - Detonator RIP removes every last trace of the old drivers). Anyway I've installed the older 44.03 drivers and they seem to be going a bit better. What the heck could be wrong with the newer ones?

I can still get the memory error if I try and open a divx file in Media Player, and another divx file in winamp? -whys that?

PoWa
30-08-2003, 05:14 PM
I think I've fixed the problem guys!! Keep this in mind for future reference :)

I got an idea from a site that the error might be causes by a corrupt profile, so I created a new profile, then copied all my settings from the old profile into the new one following this advice here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151).

Then I booted into the new profile and everything works great as it used to! I even tested it by opening up 5 different DivX's and in different players incl winamp and they were all playing their thing without crashing. I can actually play 4 divx's at once and have them all on screen, quite cool! After 4 though the system starts to crawl :)

Thanks for your help guys - and lets hope the problem is fixed - if its not then I'll be posting back ;)