PDA

View Full Version : modem/speed/success

effie C
27-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Hi-
thanks to Sam, Antmannz, Rod ger,and Godfather, I have just installed a "string" as an extra to my modem upgrade- and whereas I had to put up with a "connect"speed of 31.2 kps - now I have jumped to an unbelievable 115.2 kps.
This seems rediculous when I have a modem of 56600 kps and though Godfather says that the two are not related, I trialed a download at the busiest time of the evening and got an average of 4.2 kps as against 2.8 kps before.
Tomorrow, 28 August - in daylight and therefore potentially less busy I will try again, but expect this speed to be improved.
Sam tells me I should continue to either install another modem or locate new driver upgrades for my present one, to bring this into a more realistic level- any comments? The modem appears to be a stafire made by Motorola who have amalgamated their stock into another firm.
I would as usual welcome any advice.
At the moment I am so rapt after trying for a month that I hope I have succeeded - permanently.
effie c

mikebartnz
27-08-2003, 10:46 PM
If you are getting 4.2 kbs that is not too bad. It would be nicer to have more but there are too many variables eg phone line, ISP etc

godfather
27-08-2003, 10:58 PM
The reported 115kb speed indicates the driver is wrong.

The speed being reported is that of the PC to the Modem, and not that of the Modem itself. This is a very common event when the wrong driver is used.

4.2 kB/s is not a bad speed if its sustained, and is equivalent to a solid 33.6 connect or better. Atthogh I used to connect here at 48 kb/s seldom got sustained downloads better than that.

It will be a pity if that modem isn't able to be kept, as I am sure it must be a hardware ISA modem, the linux community would love to get hold of it

tweak\'e
27-08-2003, 11:08 PM
the other thing to watch is what you are downloading when you test it and the way you measure it. downloading an easly compressed file will make the speed higher than it is.

Curly
28-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Hi GF, Is it possible to have the actual connection speed displayed, via string settings I presume, rather than the PC to Modem speed?

godfather
28-08-2003, 09:31 AM
It should always display the actual modem connection speed.
You only get the 115kB displayed when the wrong driver is used.

effie C
28-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi Godfather,
Do you have to spoil my euphoria so easily-:-)
O k, as usual you are thinking better than- me for instance!
In my original string you stated that stafire was/is a product of Motorola- but not any longer
As my phone lines have been tested and cleared of any error/noise/pairing etc by Telecom, and as I thought I was on cloud 9 after so long - how can I diagnose the "correct " driver?--- Install another brand?The critical update facility in Microsoft stated that no driver was availble for this particular modem( after the diagnostic examination of my 'puta.
By trial and (t)error I am running down the culprit causing my pain! :-)
I think it was Rod ger who suggested I retain this modem as the "soft" ones were not as good as what I have
effie c

Murray P
28-08-2003, 09:53 AM
I still believe your modem chip is a Rockwell/Conexant (company name changed from Rockwell to Conexant). You need to get the drivers for this specific chip rather than generic, although sometimes they (generic) work perfectly well, not in your case apparently. For some modem drivers to install correctly sometimes you have to uninstall the previous drivers before you apply the new ones, there are unistall utilities for this purpose.

Cheers Murray P

Curly
28-08-2003, 09:53 AM
GF, I did not make it clear enough :-)

I am trying to see if I can have the modem report the actual connection speed between the modem and my ISP, for instance, rather than between the modem and my PC.

Did not mean to pinch your Thread Effic C - will get out of here now :-)

godfather
28-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Curly, you were very clear

I thought I was being clear as well, but will try again.

Your connect speed should not be displayed as 115 kb/s.
If it is, you have the wrong driver
A string for the modem is unlikely to help.

You need to locate and install the right driver.

Now, Effie C

I have no reason to believe your modem is a "stafire"
Your mention of that name in a previous thread was due to you assuming that a modem help page was reporting your modem. It was an example of the authors modem diagnostic, not yours. This was pointed out in that thread.

I have however every reason to believe your modem is a Motorola Surfer 56k based on the software revision you obtained when you ran the diagnostics on your modem.

I have asked you in previous threads if your modem is an ISA one. You have yet to confirm or deny this.
This is very important, as the drivers are fundamentally different

Also ISA modems are often not detected by the software (they are not plug and play often).

If it is ISA, the slot it plugs into on your motherboard will be a darker colour, and the other (PCI) slots usually are coloured white.

effie C
28-08-2003, 10:27 AM
You are very very welcome Curly - I have acheived a huge benefit from F1 and I too interfered in a string a while back- so it is tit for tat.
This Connexant modem mentioned -if I uninstall a driver -= will I not be able to download another? :-)

Murray P
28-08-2003, 11:30 AM
conexant driver-chip ID (http://www.conexant.com/support/md_driverdownload.jsp) this may or may not identify you chip as I can't see any info on ISA slots. It won't harm to run it or download the pdf info file for identifying modems. This is the chip I believe you have 1MB Rom (http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/conacf10.html) or 2MB Rom (http://www.modem-help.co.uk/chips/conacf20.html) The revision (30.1) is later than is listed on those two pages so it is a matter of tracking down the right one for firmware and drivers. This chip suports V90 or Flex so the right one has to be applied for NZ, I can't remeber whether Telecom support both (GF, does it make a diff?).

Quickest way to sort this is to pop the hood and look- slot type, chip numbers, info on stickers and FCC ID if necessary (the latter can be harder to trace than chip #).

HTH Murray P

Murray P
28-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Try AT16 and tell us what it lists.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
28-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Rockwell ACF 56K
(1 Meg ROM)

K56 Flex code is loaded in the modems Flash ROM
V2.013A 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.012 022-001-K56_DLP
V1.200 022-001-K56_DLP
V1.120 022-001-K56_DLP
V1.100 022-001-K56_DLP
V1.000-K56_DLP

V.90 code is loaded in the modems Flash ROM
V2.210 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.200 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.100G_1MSVD 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.100 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.083 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.076 022-001-K56_DLP
V2.065 022-001-K56_DLP
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 47.32/47.32
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 47.29/47.29
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 47.24/47.24
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 47.22/47.22
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 47.18/47.18
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 45.0/45.0
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 35.0/34.0
RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 30.0/30.0 this is the closest revision I can find, so far, to yours which is [b]30.1/30.1[b]. 1MB Rom modem.

Cherrs Murray P

effie C
28-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi murry P-
I went into that site aand nowhere can I see your assesment 0RCV560PF - etc
Assuming you have correctly diagnosed the product and on looking at 3 pages in that site- now what?

And Godfather- yes I did open up the 'puta and found absolutely no markings of any sort- it was back a week or so and I am nervous about assessing the colour etc of the slot, and thereby make a fatal error- any advice?Sorry folks- this is consuming your time but it IS appreciated
effie c

Murray P
28-08-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm back to this (to which I posted a link in the previous thread but got via a diff route this time) Whether it is a Lasat Safire or a rebadged and this is the closest AT16 is doing based on the chip, this I beleive is your modem.

560 V INT ISA PnP id: LASF441,ISAPNP\LASF441
Safire 560
Chipset: Rockwell ACF 56k 1 MB ROM Flashable: Yes Soft/Hard: Hard Freeserve: Good
Upgrades at: start at this page; Windows 3.x, 95/98/NT 3.51 & 4.0, MacOS, documentation, .inf files, flash upgrades, other programs & miscellaneous
Notes: Impressive Danish web site; nice paper too. An install wizard is available to test for V.90 compatibility. It gives a wrong result with Freeserve - upgrade anyway.

Warning! The chipset comes in a 1 or 2 MB ROM, with internal and external versions, and voice options. BEWARE! as the correct version & type of flash is required or the modem will be dead, permanently (see Media Force & below).

08 Sep 00 Thanks to Bill Alexander for the sad story of the demise of his 560 V INT. ati4 showed "V1.00-K56_DLP" & ati6 a revision of 30.1. The flash reported his modem as suitable for upgrade, but still failed on the second module after an hour at 10%. The only unusual feature on his system is a blanked-out UART & Highest Speed showing "No response".

[url=http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/lasat/product.asp?p=INT[Info & Drivers[/url] site.

Cheers Murray P

PS. Still trying to confirm the chip :(

Murray P
28-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Lasat 560 Info and Drivers (http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/lasat/product.asp?p=INT)

Look for Conexant or Rockwell and numbers on the chips, normally printed in small whitish lettering on the dark grey background of the chip (square or rectangular 1 to 2.5mm high 12 to 25mm across. Rockwell choips have a symbol/logo something like a reversed or negative of a peace symbol on them. Get all the info and post, draw a diagram of the modem so you can remember where the info is located on it.

Cheers Murray P

effie C
28-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Murry P - I went off at 1/2 cock - found the site that assesses my puta and it confirmed I have aConnexant modem etc- but first I have to download and install Winzip 8.1 - am doing that - will let you know- no doubt with my luck by snail mailas my puta might blow up
effie c

Murray P
28-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I just hope I'm barking up the right tree, that I am barking, at all :), has nothing to do with my interest in computers, I think ?:|. Other posters have put doubts in my mind but, I'll stick to this Lasat/rebadged modem for the mo.

Cheers Murray P

PS. On your behalf, have queried Lasat/Eicon for assistance/confirmation in identifying the modem and chip. hope you don't mind, no names were used.

effie C
28-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Hi Murry P
- no - go to it! I would be being precious to compalin at this stage - if any-
I went into the site for Connexant and it diagnosed and confirmed my modem was one of theirs- as I saw it I had to installWinzip 8.1 to be able to ccess the file- but now I am running round in circles trying to progress from there- no luck.
One thing I DID See-it read the type of modem as for 05&98when I was in fact accessing the site using XP
If this was the problem why would my XP be at home and on the same speed as Win 98?- in others words I don't need a specific w XP modem
Or do I?
effie c

Murray P
28-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Your OS is win 98 on the machine with the modem in it, isn't it? you need the driver specific to the OS although some drivers span several OS's eg, 95-98-me, win2000 & XP.

While the generic Conexant driver is likey to be fine getting one specific to the madem manufacturer will be better, having said that I believe you have a rebadged or OEM modem so finding out the exact manufacturer may be hard or pointless if they have followed the specs from conexant exactley. Conexant/Rockwell do not make modems just the chips/controllers on the modems. If you want to upgrade the firmware on the modem (flash the ROM, not a driver installation for the OS but embedded Read Only Memory on the modem) you will need to know exactley what the chip and revision is otherwise there is a very good chance that it will die an untimely death.

What is the exact info the Conexant diagnosis gives you.

Cheers Murray P

godfather
28-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Effie C, if you are using XP, you dont need WinZip to access any file.

XP has full winzip compatability for compressed files already built in.

Murray P
28-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Do you think we are on the right track GF?

Cheers Murray P

effie C
28-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi Murry P
Oh! Dear!!!
you put your finger on it- I am now operating in Win 98SE and went into that site and connected at a download speed of 56700bps-though I am sure it was not that before- I had found a win 98 modem upgrade - installed it and hence the reading
BUT that means my XP will not do the same- as Godfather says as the connect speed is 115.2 kps - which proves the point that I must have the wrong drivers-IN W XP whereas now- in Win 98 the connect speed proves I now have the correct drivers for W98.
Help!! what can I do about such - or is it academic and a no go!!!!!Knowing my luck this is the end of the search!!!!
Now all I can do is say thank you to you all and bear my embaressment alone :-(
effie c

godfather
28-08-2003, 04:14 PM
> Do you think we are on the right track GF?

I drove over the edge of the track a while back Murray!

Did we know this machine was dual booting?
Can't say I did ...

>I am now operating in Win 98SE and went into that site and connected at a download speed of 56700bps

I have never seen a dial-up connect at the full rated speed, ever ...

I am confused, I need to lie down for a while.

Murray P
28-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Don't be embaressed, we just need the info to help. Post whats on the chips. Are you dual bootting between 98 & XP? if so you will need to download the correct driver each and load into the OS it relates to. Bear in mind that modems can be very fussy about accepting new drivers, etc, so several reboots, uninstalls amd teeth nashing may be required to get it running/identified in the system even before you start entering srtings to get it running sweetly.

I'm a bit rusty on modems myself beacause I'm on DSL now but, I have a fine collection of USR, Dynalink, Lucent and ? modems, mostly of the hard ISA slot variety. I'm sure some are dead now due to botched upgrades so be kind to your nice hard modem :)

Cheers Murray P

PS. That V1.009 56_DLP or whatever, definitely relates to a Moterola Surfer but its an external model I think. Moterola site is useless at extracting old/archive material, or its me.

Peter Coleman
28-08-2003, 09:56 PM
567000 is still your port speed.56K is only a theoretical maximum speed of the modem,you won't actually get that,because of the digital to analogue switching in the exchange that drops off the top speed.
Try putting in W2 in the extra settings.This will usually show your true speed.

Peter

Rod ger
28-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Basically we lack information. There is nothing too dangerous about opening your box and checking out you components. The main things are disconnect the power, open the box and ground yourself on the chassis. You can buy a strap, or do it the old fashioned way -grab the chassis firmly before you do anything else, this will discharge any residule static electricity. You can tell the modem from where you plug your phone line in.
Its very easy to see the difference in the slots, and if you can't its time for a good cleanup. Anyway check out your modem, the writing will be very small on the chips thenselves(they ALL have identifying lettering on them. You may need a strong light ( and in my case reading glasses) You may have to pull the modem out to check it out properly, in which case you will probably have a connection to your sound card. Disconnect this noting carefully where it is plugged in,undo the fasteners to the case and pull the sucker out and give it the third degree. As I said there is nothing inherantly dangerous about this as long as you arn't too rough and take antistatic precautions. This would settle the chipset id once and for all and if this is an ISA or a Win modem. This is the basic info needed to start finding out about your modem. I think I have covered all the precautions you need to take others may add to what I have said , but you need to do this so we have the needed info.

rsnic
28-08-2003, 11:16 PM
A speed of 4.2 KB/s is fine. Although theoretically your modem can download at 56kbps you'll never get the max throughput of 7KB/s because at the hardware level various error correction techniques are taking place that are not counted by higher level functions not to mention data loss etc

vk_dre
28-08-2003, 11:43 PM
I connect at 115k probably once in 2 months, it has happened for the past 3months, so does this mean that the driver is loading incorectly sometimes or is it something else?

vk_dre
28-08-2003, 11:46 PM
> I connect at 115k probably once in 2 months, it has
> happened for the past 3months, so does this mean that
> the driver is loading incorectly sometimes or is it
> something else?

sorry for the typo,i meant to say it hasnt happened for the past 3months...

Murray P
29-08-2003, 12:20 AM
VK, as mentioned above, thats the speed at which your OS and the modem are talking not your connection to the outside world.

Eddie, ISA slots are are about a third longer than PCI. As Rod says, pop the top and pull it out, get a magnifying glass and write down every letter and number, group them together by the chip/component they are on and describe it. The Lasant tech support people have emailed back with a request for more info and a suggestion that I look at the chip(s) on the modem as the only sure way of identifying it.

I'm away for a few days in the big smoke up north and won't have time to catch up with PF1. Have fun, hope you get this resovled soon.

Cheers Murray P

effie C
29-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi Murray - why does your post time say 12.20? at this moment it is 10.08 am - your world must be running faster than mine :-)
Yes I will open up the puta- Sam has found an XP driver which I have downloaded but cannot extract- I must be stupid- anyway the date on the program says th elast update was 1997-- starting from 1995, so may be of no value
Watch that big smoke - it is not as good as Hamilton ;-)
Eddie