PDA

View Full Version : cdrom drive will not open

starfish
27-08-2003, 08:03 PM
I have a cdrom in the cdrom drive on winxp and i have pressed the button and it will not open to remove the disc!!

There is a green night on that is not flashing if that means anything
HELP my warranty runs out in a matter of days

zqwerty
27-08-2003, 08:10 PM
If you look on the front of the CD-Rom drive you will find a small hole. Get a paper clip and straighten it out and push it firmly but gently straight into the hole. You should find that the door will open. As far as I know that is what the hole is for, to remove disks when the drive is faulty or not powered.
Regards Robert.

Scouse
27-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi
Just occasionally a right click on the drive icon or through Explorer and then click on Eject will do the trick.

tommy
27-08-2003, 08:55 PM
If you right click on an icon for your CD drive you should be able to choose "eject" and it should open. Some CD writing programs put an icon in your tasktray and you can use that if it is there.

Scouse
27-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi Tommy - Snap !!

starfish
27-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi there,
Well I tried the paper clip and managed to get my disc out but then when it shut it sort of died and i couldnt do anything with it.

I tried the other suggestions and it just wouldn't open or shut.

I have just done a system restore back a few days and hey presto it is in working order again??

I am curious to what could have caused this and as this is PC Company and the warranty is due to expire very soon I have already sent it away 3 previous times for various problems. 4 months ago they had to install a new CD Drive.

Doesn't seem right for a new computer does it????