PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive red light keeps trying to activate

alhayton
26-08-2003, 11:10 AM
My computer is Pentium 4 with 40gig hard drive. the red light on the box keeps trying to activate all the time even when I am not doing anything. I have spyware and virus checkers etc and have checked all the startups but still it keeps flashing. can you please suggest anything else.

alhayton

godfather
26-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Many reasons, such as:

Virus Scanning software operating in the background, scanning files

Indexing service or MS Office "fast find" indexing the files for quick search reference.

Not sure what operating system you are using, if it was XP you could Ctrl - Alt - Del to bring up Task Manager and see which processes are running.

alhayton
26-08-2003, 11:25 AM
I am running win 98SE and I have turned all the virus checkers off. This has only started in the last 3-4 days

alhayton

Rod ger
26-08-2003, 01:18 PM
How much free space have you on the Hard Drive??? If you are running out you may be reducing your virtual memory space.
But its probably one of the things GF indicated. Do the Ctrl/Alt/Del thing and see whats running.

Fire-and-Ice
27-08-2003, 10:12 AM
I once had a similar problem and traced it to Norton Anti-Virus. Still don't know why it did it but a clean out of NAV and reinstall, complete with latest updates fixed it.

alhayton
27-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks to Godfather, rod ger and fire and ice I have done what every body suggested but still no joy. Will the red light constantly flashing do any harm to the Hard drive. Should I just do a reformat of the hard drive.

More help please
alhayton
p.a. my virus checker is nortons 2002 and intergrator 2002

Rod ger
27-08-2003, 08:57 PM
What programs show when you press Ctrl\Alt\Del

kiwibeat
27-08-2003, 09:05 PM
whats intergrator 2002??

alhayton
28-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi Rod ger I only have systray and explorer running . I have ditched everything else and have been to msconfig and turned off every thin there and turned on again only what was necessary. I think the Norton Integrator is another update 2002 for system works.

Should I now think about reformatting. and will this problem cause trouble to the hard drive.

alhayton

Rod ger
28-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Not yet we just have to narrow it down. Unless you find out what it is its likley to be a repeat problem.
OK Next go Start\programs accessories\system tools\system information, then click on Software Envioment in the left hand column to expand it then click on running tasks.

Take a note of anything that looks as if it might have potential ie anything that is not Microsoft or any thing that looks as if it might be checking settings. If you are not sure it is possible to copy and paste the names so we can have a look. This should rule in\out software one way or another.

alhayton
28-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi Rod ger this is a copy of what you required
Kernel32.dll 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Win32 Kernel core component C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel32.dll 4.3 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
MSGSRV32.EXE 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Mprexe.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation WIN32 Network Interface Service Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mprexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
MMTASK.TSK 4.03.1998 Microsoft Corporation Multimedia background task support module C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMTASK.TSK 4.0 Microsoft Windows
Mstask.exe 4.71.1968.1 Microsoft Corporation Task Scheduler Engine C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mstask.exe 4.0 Microsoft® Windows® Task Scheduler
Nprotect.exe 15.0.0.20 Symantec Corporation Norton Protection Status C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON UTILITIES\Nprotect.exe 4.0 Norton Utilities
Devldr16.exe 1, 0, 0, 19 Creative Technology Ltd. DevLdr16 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Devldr16.exe 4.0 Creative Ring3 NT Inteface
Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1 Microsoft Corporation Windows Explorer C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
Systray.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation System Tray Applet C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Systray.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Swtrayv4.exe 4.03.281 Microsoft Corporation MS SideWinder Tray Application C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\GAME CONTROLLERS\COMMON\Swtrayv4.exe 4.0 Microsoft Game Controller Software
Navapw32.exe 8.00.6 Symantec Corporation Norton AntiVirus Agent C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\Navapw32.exe 4.0 Norton AntiVirus
Wineject.exe 1.3 Ingo Heeskens Task-Bar applet ejecting removable drives C:\WINDOWS\Wineject.exe 4.0 WinEject
RUNDLL.EXE 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Run a DLL as an App C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Wmiexe.exe 5.00.1755.1 Microsoft Corporation WMI service exe housing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Wmiexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
Zonealarm.exe 3.7.202 Zone Labs Inc. ZoneAlarm C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\Zonealarm.exe 4.0 ZoneAlarm
Vsmon.exe 3.7.202 Zone Labs Inc. TrueVector Service C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\Vsmon.exe 4.0 TrueVector Service
Pstores.exe 5.00.1877.3 Microsoft Corporation Protected storage server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Pstores.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
Rnaapp.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Dial-Up Networking Application C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rnaapp.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Tapisrv.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tapisrv.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Spool32.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Spooler Sub System Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Spool32.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Msinfo32.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation MSInfo32 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\MSINFO\Msinfo32.exe 4.0 Microsoft System Information

I have had the wineject for several years with no trouble but I could do without.

alhayton my name is Shirley

kiwibeat
28-08-2003, 12:40 PM
sounds like a optimizer defrag program associated with norton I just use their anti virus their utils is quite resource hungry and not as good as Fix-It for registry maintainance , or Diskeeper for defragging

Rod ger
28-08-2003, 01:48 PM
I tend to agree with kiwibeat, try uninstalling all Norton software and see if the problem stops. Sorry its abit of a pain, but after you have done that if you have no joy continue to close optional programs like Zone Alarm etc. until either the problem stops or there is nothing else to close.

Check the running tasks each time to make sure the program has really stopped running, quite often programs will leave processes running in the background, unobserved. In that case the only option is to uninstall them.

You will need to restart each time you don't run a program and then check.

When you have finished if the problem persists, copy & paste your new minimal running tasks to notepad, reinstall\restart your antivirus and firewall, log on to F1 and copy and paste from notepad
and get back to us with it.

alhayton
28-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi Rod ger I have done what you suggested and have stripped windows right down to stuff that we have had on for abou 2 years I think and it is still doing the same. Here is the new list on notepad.

Kernel32.dll 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Win32 Kernel core component C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel32.dll 4.3 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
MSGSRV32.EXE 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Mprexe.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation WIN32 Network Interface Service Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mprexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
MMTASK.TSK 4.03.1998 Microsoft Corporation Multimedia background task support module C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMTASK.TSK 4.0 Microsoft Windows
Devldr16.exe 1, 0, 0, 19 Creative Technology Ltd. DevLdr16 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Devldr16.exe 4.0 Creative Ring3 NT Inteface
Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1 Microsoft Corporation Windows Explorer C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
Systray.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation System Tray Applet C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Systray.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Swtrayv4.exe 4.03.281 Microsoft Corporation MS SideWinder Tray Application C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\GAME CONTROLLERS\COMMON\Swtrayv4.exe 4.0 Microsoft Game Controller Software
Wmiexe.exe 5.00.1755.1 Microsoft Corporation WMI service exe housing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Wmiexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
Msinfo32.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation MSInfo32 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\MSINFO\Msinfo32.exe 4.0 Microsoft System Information

B.M.
28-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Does this happen if you start the computer in safe mode?

Rod ger
28-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Ok everything looks normal. What are the specs of your computer, especially RAM and free Hard Drive space: but processor etc as well please.

alhayton
28-08-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi Rod ger & BM
This is not occuring when in safe mode to answer B M question.
will these specs do copied from system information at least I have learnt about that today. I have now installed only Nortons Anti Virus 2002
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=D:\Cabs D:\CABS\factory.inf /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2600.0000
Uptime: 0:00:03:07
Normal mode
On "CHANGEME" as "alhayton"

GenuineIntel x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
256MB RAM
79% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (26309MB free)
Available space on drive C: 26309MB of 37752MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 144MB of 399MB (FAT)

godfather
28-08-2003, 04:20 PM
> the red light on the box keeps trying to activate all the time

Back to basics.
Can you expand on the above?

Is it lit up solidly, or just little short flickers, regular in time.

The reason I ask, is that any other device on that IDE channel may also bring the light on.
In particular, CD-ROM drives, with autorun enabled can give that regular flicker on the HDD activity light even though its not the HDD thats being polled.

Rod ger
28-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Try setting your virtual memory to a constant size.
start\ settingscontrol panel\system\performance\virtual memory. click let me specify......... and put 256MB in both entries, click OK ignore warning, and restart your computer. Let us know how that goes.

alhayton
28-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi Rod ger & Godfather
Good news I changed my virtual memory to 256 and things were still the same. leaving it at that I then tried Godfathers suggestion and disabled Auto start in both DVD & Burner and low and behold that did the trick. This has only been happening in the last week and I have had DVD & burner for 18 months and both used frequently. Many thanks for all the hard work. I am a 72 years old lady and have been able to follow instructions quite well Many thanks again. Now should I put back the virtual memory or leave as is at 256. Rod
alhayton Shirley

Rod ger
28-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Great news GF got it in one Wow. As for the virtual memory my personal preference would be to leave it as it is except if you could make a bit more space on your other drive I would be more inclined to put it there( do exactly as before except change the location , its just above the memory settings.
There are some different opinions on this, but its not dangerous and is supposed to speed up the system a little, a "tweak"! See how it goes and if its not convienient\right for you just change it back. Be sure to tell your friends and rellies you've been hacking and tweaking your system!!!!!!!