PDA

View Full Version : How do you back up "copy protected" data CDs?

Billy T
26-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi Team

I am new to the world of CD burning so bear with me on this one.

After having to get my Win 2000 CD polished to restore functionality after it accidentally got scratched :8} I decided to make a backup copy to save the original from further trauma. I duly burned a copy, but on testing MS tells me it is not the correct CD, so obviously it is of little use.

I am using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator V6 and I see it has an option called Raw mode for "copying some data disks that cannot be copied using a normal copy process." Is this a euphemism for "this mode will overide copy protection"?

That effort was my first coaster and I don't want to build up a matched set of the darned things, so better I ask first, burn later.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

John Grieve
26-08-2003, 10:59 AM
CloneCD is what you need. The unregistered version will burn at the lowest speed until registered but that will get the job done fine. I have always found it better to rip an image to your hardrive then burn it from there rather than burning the copy on the fly. There are good instructions at the site linked.

http://www.clonecd.net/

Chilling_Silently
26-08-2003, 11:40 AM
I too use CloneCD 4, Registered, and its great.

Hang round long enough though and apparently you'll be told that Alcohol 120% is what you need, because CloneCD hasnt been updated in ages, amongst other things!

Kame
26-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I replaced Roxio with Nero ROM which hasn't failed my efforts in copying any type of CD. I do think there's a difference between piracy and having a copy of a purchased CD you still have, including licenses.

I have copied all of my music CDs after I scratched the 1st album that came out from this band. Unfortunately it took me a month to find that album again that it annoyed me, so now I preserve my originals and I use my copies. They tell me this is illegal, because they want you to scratch the CDs, they want to you spend months looking for it again, and they want your money. Talk about burn and get burnt no matter which way you do it.

Chilling_Silently
26-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Same here.. Only with 6 "under 16's" in the household, that leaves little to the imagination about how those CD's are going to be treated.

I was not impressed when a CD I'd bought two days earlier was being thrown across the living room by a 2 year old sibbling who'd found it somehow in his toybox?

I dont know about you, but that would have been an aweful waste of 30 bucks had I not backed it up the day before (Copy protection? I used the same method of Audio Extraction I've been using for the last 4 years!).

IIRC, There was an article in >>FFWD by Chris Keall who said you could write to certain places and apply to do backups of your CD's like that who usually said yes.

I should see about digging up that mag, I know I've got it somewhere around here.

Billy T
26-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys, but before I go downloading yet another program, does anybody know the answer to my original question about Roxio's "Raw Mode" for copying data CDs.

Will it overcome copy-protection?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Murray P
26-08-2003, 02:07 PM
RAW mode is a bit for bit copy with no OS or other interpretation. Not sure if its related to rawrite which I've used for creating a linux floppy image or RAW data re digital photography. The latter tend to be large images with all the info that usually gets stripped out when a JPEG, for eg, is compressed. I don't think it will help to copy a CD without getting around the copy protection.

HTH Murray P

PoWa
26-08-2003, 02:17 PM
It might, it may not. You can always make another coaster to find out :)

Win2k/XP OS cds have very limited copy protection. I don't think alcohol would be necessary in this case, just use cloneCd and the dataCd profile. Protected game cd profile would probably work just as well.

Graham L
26-08-2003, 03:39 PM
A raw mode copy will copy all the bits on the CD. That is, if there are bad spots on the CD (which are worked around by the error correction used in a normal read) they will be copied to the output. I don't think any copy protection will beat that. The error correction is supposed to be pretty good. I think I saw once that you should be able to punch a " hole in the CD and still play it.

A usual "copy" of a CD will regenerate the blocks. A RAW copy won't. I suppose that in Linux, you should be able to do "dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=mycopy.img", then write that to a new disk.

Big John
26-08-2003, 08:07 PM
> After having to get my Win 2000 CD polished to
> restore functionality after it accidentally got
> scratched :8} I decided to make a backup copy to save
> the original from further trauma. I duly burned a
> copy, but on testing MS tells me it is not the
> correct CD, so obviously it is of little use.

The Windows CD's are not protected. The fix they did on your CD is obviously not done correctly and is causing it not to copy properly.

Chilling_Silently
26-08-2003, 08:28 PM
If it is readable and still working, then it's copyable!
It may have simply been copied incorrectly, and that's not hard to do!

I've downloaded Alcohol 120% today... So far it looks alright, but CloneCD is a lot simpler.

Its a quick download Billy, you should be sweet :-)

Billy T
26-08-2003, 08:57 PM
The fix was a surface cut and polish BJ, which removed scratches and the original CD now works fine so a copy should be OK too.

Are you sure that Microsoft does not copy-protect their program CDs?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ?:|

Chilling_Silently
26-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Yup!

Mike
26-08-2003, 09:27 PM
I've backed up my XP CD and my 98 and ME CDs just using Nero CD to CD copy. Just stick the master in one drive and the blank in the writer - never come across any copy protection on any of them.

Mike.

PoWa
26-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Don't you have to make them bootable when you copy them?? Or should that all be copied over inside the image?

If so whats all the fuss with bootable cds then, are they only for the pirates that haven't got a legit cd in the first place? ;)

Chilling_Silently
26-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Yes, The "Bootable" part is copied too ;-)

Billy T
26-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Bugger! So it was a genuine coaster then:(

Murray P
26-08-2003, 11:48 PM
I've got a boxed set of coasters you can have Billy, the best money could buy. Now I buy on special ;)

Cheers Murray P

Kame
27-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Actually MS did have a copy protection that made Windows read the incorrect data size on the CD, a 700MB CD saying it has 1.5Gigs put most CD Burning programs off by saying it needed media with more space.

They also had protection that stopped the ability of copying the CD onto Hard Drive, although these could have been bugs in their programs and not actual CD Protection as it does sound a bit buggy to me.

Billy T
27-08-2003, 04:11 PM
I use a single Samsung CDRW and it writes to disk then dumps to CD. I guess that's the same as copying to the HDD and writing from there. Bought the Samsung because it has an 8MB cache and with Roxio it is interesting to see how the cache is called upon to supply data from time to time. Doesn't look like it ever needs more than 1MB though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)