PDA

View Full Version : MSN Blocking 3rd Party apps on Oct. 15

Chilling_Silently
25-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Ive just been reading up at Gaim while I download the latest, and found this:
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/msn.php

Im just curious about the likes of this and other things, such as ICQ's attempts to block Trillian.

Will Trillian be affected on the 15th?

Is there any official press releases etc. by Microsoft about this?

stu140103
25-08-2003, 12:41 PM
> Is there any official press releases etc. by
> Microsoft about this?

yeath I think so I posted something last week about this

** Goes off & searches**

stu140103
25-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Important Security Update for the .NET Messenger Service (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=38456)

Microsoft's IM letter means you agree to pay and upgrade (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=38534)

Chilling_Silently
25-08-2003, 02:30 PM
That's a real shame, seeing as I know five people, three on Win95, two on 98SE, all who are still on MSN 4.7 because 5 wont work, neither would 6!

Looks like they're gonna have to find a 3rd party app soon that supports the MSN v8 or v9 protocol!

Kiwitas
25-08-2003, 03:19 PM
> That's a real shame, seeing as I know five people,
> three on Win95, two on 98SE, all who are still on MSN
> 4.7 because 5 wont work, neither would 6!
>
> Looks like they're gonna have to find a 3rd party app
> soon that supports the MSN v8 or v9 protocol!

Why CS?

The E-mail from M$ says 4.7 is still OK!Or at least 4.7.200!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Chilling_Silently
25-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Not affected by the Security Hole.. Yes, but here's an excerpt taken from the above link posted:

MS has decided that everyone should upgrade to MSN version 5.0 or higher. MSN v5 is the first to use their MSN Protocol v8, which is the first to use SSL for login. Now, we know how to login over this. This is not hard, and we will be supporting MSNP9, the latest version of the protocol, soon.

However, upgrading to this does not guarantee us anything. Whereas previously, Microsoft has let third party clients connect, they now require a license for doing so. They still encourage clients to connect to their network, so with any luck, we can work something out. If not, people may find a way to connect anyway, but the legalities of this are pretty obvious. Key words: "Intellectual Property" and "DMCA."

So, they're still stuck, because MSN 4.7.200 still wont work, even though its not affected by the aforementioned security update!

Mike
25-08-2003, 04:31 PM
> So, they're still stuck, because MSN 4.7.200 still
> wont work, even though its not affected by the
> aforementioned security update!

Not so sure about that, as Windows Messenger official version is still 4.7 (v5 is still beta). It uses basically the same setup as MSN Messenger 4.7, so until WM5 is officially released I think they'll still quite happily let people use 4.7.

Mike.

J ZEP
25-08-2003, 05:21 PM
> Not so sure about that, as Windows Messenger
> official version is still 4.7 (v5 is still beta).

Hi Mike, was wondering if i can ask you a quick question :-), as your not around as much as you used to be ;-). I seem to remember you previously mentioning that you were using/testing the "Window Messenger" beta v5?????? (or maybe i am thinking of somebody else ?:|). If so though - I was wondering if you could please tell me if it still has Hotmail integration??? As i read a couple of articles awhile back which said "Win Mess v5" was no longer going to have Hotmail integration??? And would launch "Outlook" instead??? Just curious if they followed through on this???

TIA :-)

agent
25-08-2003, 07:12 PM
I was going to ask why everyone is getting so worked up. That's because I mistook the EULA and went and searched the Terms of Use of the .NET Messenger Service.

Then I realised my mistake, found a copy of the installation package for MSN Messenger 5.0 and opened it up to read the EULA. I copied that to notepad, searched for the word "charge", and, yup, it's right there in the text, telling us all that they can charge us to upgrade the software in future versions. If this has been sitting in there since version 5.0, and it's only recently been discovered, that worries me...

However, I'm reasonably sure that Microsoft would be mad to try and charge people for use of an IM client. And if they tried, I would assume there would be much public outrage and many lawsuits, and Microsoft would back down. You cannot charge people for talking to each other. I'm sure it would violate something, somewhere.

Mike
25-08-2003, 08:06 PM
> > Not so sure about that, as Windows
> Messenger
> > official version is still 4.7 (v5 is still beta).
>
> Hi Mike, was wondering if i can ask you a quick
> question :-), as your not around as much as you used
> to be ;-). I seem to remember you previously
> mentioning that you were using/testing the "Window
> Messenger" beta v5?????? (or maybe i am thinking of
> somebody else ?:|). If so though - I was wondering
> if you could please tell me if it still has Hotmail
> integration??? As i read a couple of articles awhile
> back which said "Win Mess v5" was no longer going to
> have Hotmail integration??? And would launch
> "Outlook" instead??? Just curious if they followed
> through on this???
>
> TIA :-)

J Zep, I have no idea, sorry :) I don't use hotmail (my passport is through an ISP email address), so I can't test to see... but I'd be surprised if the hotmail integration has been removed. I'll try to read up on the Beta site later and get back to you.

Mike.

Mike
25-08-2003, 08:15 PM
> J Zep, I have no idea, sorry :) I don't use hotmail
> (my passport is through an ISP email address), so I
> can't test to see... but I'd be surprised if the
> hotmail integration has been removed. I'll try to
> read up on the Beta site later and get back to you.

J Zep - WM 5 beta has finished (I hadn't read all my beta emails LOL) a few days ago, so there's hardly any info on the site anymore :( sorry.

Mike.

J ZEP
25-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks anyway Mike :-), and after a little surfing i found the article i read it in again;-)

Here (http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=38424) End of second para.

>>>3but I'd be surprised if the hotmail integration has been removed.

My thoughts exactly - thats why i was curious weather or not they had implemented it?? And as i don't/didn't know anybody doing the beta testing....

Cheers :-)

Mike
26-08-2003, 08:06 PM
>> but I'd be surprised if the hotmail integration
>> has been removed.
> My thoughts exactly - thats why i was curious weather
> or not they had implemented it?? And as i
> don't/didn't know anybody doing the beta testing....

I just logged into Windows Messenger using my wife's hotmail account - clicked on "My Email Inbox" and up popped Outlook. I wonder if it's Outlook overriding the feature, or whether they just left it out of the beta (since the full version hasn't been released yet).

Mike.

J ZEP
27-08-2003, 12:13 AM
> I just logged into Windows Messenger using my wife's
> hotmail account - clicked on "My Email Inbox" and up
> popped Outlook.

Well thats interesting... Thanks for testing it Mike :-). I personally don't think removing the hotmail integration will be very popular at all - it will probably just make people resort to the latest "MSN Mess(6)" (if of course that still has hotmail integration?) I don't use "MSN Mess" but i am sure that if they had removed it from there too it would have been metioned on here by now ;-)

Cheers :-)