PDA

View Full Version : Win2K repair

DaveNZ
24-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi all
Had a few problems with the blaster virus (I'm sure lots of you did to!)
Anyway my system is running almost ok but not perfect. I want use to "repair" utility in windows. Will this leave all my data intact, or dose it over right things??

Thanks Dave

Fire-and-Ice
24-08-2003, 11:24 AM
A repair will leave your programs and data intact. It is still a good idea to backup your data though, as you should be doing regularly anyway - just in case.

DaveNZ
24-08-2003, 08:18 PM
I booted the 4 disk that start the system, it asked what type of repair so I selected the normal repair (not critical or something) anyway it went on to ask which config to repair, there was only 1 option so I entered 1 and got the C:/winnt> prompt. Then was asked for the Admin password, there was never a password loaded when I did a fresh install of windows! What do I do next.... at the moment I'm at the C:/winnt> prompt.

Thanks Dave

Chilling_Silently
24-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Its actually a better idea to tell it you want to do a "Fresh Install" and then it'll go search for old Windows Installations, and say that its found one, would you like to repair it rather than install again!?!

Just answer yes :-)

Lohsing
24-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Hey Chill! Just reinstalled again... can you email me cos I don't have your addy anymore!

Cheers,

Lo.