PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm getting a lot of alerts

ssssss
23-08-2003, 05:16 PM
My Zone Alarm is gettinga lot of alerts.
Just checked it now - 450 alerts in two and a half hours on the net!!

Mike
23-08-2003, 05:30 PM
> My Zone Alarm is gettinga lot of alerts.
> Just checked it now - 450 alerts in two and a half
> hours on the net!!

Which is the reason I got rid of ZA after only about a week of use. ZA seems to pick up all sorts of activity, whether it's normal activity or unwanted. I got rid of ZA and got Tiny Firewall (now Kerio Firewall) and Outpost, both of which I recommend (not run concurrently though!)... or if you're willing to spend, Norton Internet Security beats all three hands-down (which is what I'm running now).

Perhaps it's even fake activity logged by ZA to make you think it's doing its job :D

Mike.

Pheonix
23-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Sorry mike, but I haven't come across a test review that will support that Nortons beats all.
Don't worry about the alerts, just there for interest. Just wish people would have some from of firewall. It would have stopped the MSblaster in it's tracks.
For "Joe average" zonealarm is fine except if you want to network. Then Kerio would be the obvious choice. I personally run ZA Pro and have had no issues at all with it.

kiwibeat
24-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Its not the alerts that you have to worry about its if you have any open ports that can be exploited I run Zone Alarm Pro and it does a good job I just turn off all the alarm signals it dont worry me if I am scanned because as far as the net is concerned my PC doesnt exist everthing is in stealth mode .

tweak\'e
24-08-2003, 04:44 PM
very funny mike :-)

how many alerts you get has nothing much to do with what firewall you have. they all block pretty much the same. some will log everything and some will annoy you every time an "alert" happens. you can change the settings so it dosn't bug you.

ssssss...... don't worry about the increase in alerts, just ignore them. the onlt time you have to worry is when your firewall isn't working ;-)

ssssss
24-08-2003, 08:55 PM
The enormous increase in alerts that I have noticed recently, may be due to these new viruses, perhaps?

mikebartnz
25-08-2003, 01:55 AM
I had the same thing and found it was my ISP and when they came back to me they tried to blame my firewall and yet it stopped straight after. Their DNS server had F***** up and was trying to use mine as one. It has nothing to do with ZA and if you don't like the alerts turn them off.

bmason
25-08-2003, 05:16 PM
An ideal firewall should just sit there and work.

The problem is most of the software ones tend to overreact. Probably because you are using a free version and they would like to sell you their pro version. If they can give you the impression that your system is constantly under attack through a whole bunch of scarey dialogs they hope to scare people into coughing up for the pro version.

The hits you are getting told about are probably related to blaster which is still causing a lot of traffic on paradise at least. If the log mentions port 135 then it is blaster.

I'm still getting a lot of attepts:

Count Date
1 4
1 8
2 9
2 11
73 12
75 13
61 14
19 15
72 16
32 17
230 18
278 19
285 20
668 21
404 22
387 23
280 24

I know you can turn off the warnings if they anoy you, but I cant give anything specific because I no longer have it installed.