PDA

View Full Version : Resore Function

heaton
22-08-2003, 01:31 PM
In windows XP home addition if I decide to restore to a time away back will I lose all the updates I have downloaded since then. Say I went right back to when I first got my computer would I have to download all the patches from Microsoft all over again. Thanks for help.

antmannz
22-08-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm not too sure about that. I would probably say yes, but you don't lose your personal documents, etc. so .........

Anyone else?

Chilling_Silently
22-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Yep, EVERYTHING goes iirc.

Do a full backup of your doc's/favorites/emails etc. before running System Restore, because they'll all be gone!

Susan B
22-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Yes, you most certainly will have to redownload all your updates if you restore beyond when the updates were downloaded and installed.

What I do is manually download the updates and put them in my Data folder. After a format I just need to install them off my backup disc rather than redownload them all again. It still takes a long time to do though, because most of them require a reboot after each one. :-(

When SP2 comes out (soon, hopefully) it will contain all the updates and make things a lot more simple. :-)

Susan B
22-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Err...... wait a minute, Chill. If one is using the System Restore feature on Win XP rather than the computer manufacturer's restore then no personal data is lost. Only programs installed since the last restore point was made will be lost, including the updates. Emails, documents and files won't be touched.

The computer manufacturer's restore is a different matter altogether - that WILL wipe everything unless it is just a repair.

stu140103
22-08-2003, 05:13 PM
> When SP2 comes out (soon, hopefully)

Not in till next year mid-2004, there was a post about it a few days ago