PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 5.5

leshibbard
22-08-2003, 12:56 PM
OS Win98SE.

The following screen always comes up when dialing up Outlook Express:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Server: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

When I hit the Send/Receive button, it does what it should have done the first time. connect and send and receive:

Account descriptions are what they are supposed to be:

pop3.xtra.co.nz
smtp.xtra.co.nz

The long way round is going onto the Xtra website and doing the mail through here.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Les3

antmannz
22-08-2003, 02:59 PM
This is not necessarily a problem with your setup.

Xtra's pop3 server has a default "lock-down" period if there are "excessive" login attempts to a mailbox. "Excessive" is usually defined as more than one concurrent connection or 3 attempts within 5(ish) minutes.

Wait 15 minutes and try again.

antmannz
22-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Oops. Just reread your post.

If you are opening OE and OE forces the internet connection dial up, chances are you are not connecting before OE times out.

Connect to Xtra first using your Dial-Up Networking Xtra icon, then open OE.

leshibbard
22-08-2003, 03:28 PM
antmannz, thanks for your reply.

The girls who repaired the virus in the PC back in December 2001, put the e-mail "letter" icon on the taskbar, I just click on that and the Inbox comes up followed by the Dial-up box, I press Connect and my first poste is what happens then.

Les3

antmannz
22-08-2003, 04:16 PM
OK. Open up My Computer, then Dial Up Networking. Drag the Xtra icon onto the desktop. You can then double-click this to dial.