PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Win XP

bk T
21-08-2003, 10:19 PM
My friend's computer has got English ver of XP installed. Is it possible to convert the English interface into Chinese as he has little understanding of the English language. Or, he has to buy another Chinese ver of XP?

Cheers

beama
21-08-2003, 10:39 PM
I have come across a chinese version of 98se but I think this was purchased in a asian country. But to answer your question and I maybe wrong here, I don't think it is possible to convert the English version to chinese and he/she may have to purchase a chinese version and then depending on where it was purchased you may have trouble activating it, ie Microsoft NZ may pickup on the fact that it is a non english version and may suspect it as being copied.
BUT AS I SAID EARLIER "I MAYBE WRONG"

XP does have the ability to install other languages though but I donot believe this changes the language the XP uses to communicate with the end user ie dropdown menus etc

good luck

jackyht
21-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi BK T

I am a chinese person, but do not use Chinese Windows XP

I have alot of friends use Chinese XP... no, u can't use Chinese XP and convert into English Windows XP... (they are 2 separate version)

u can certainly use Chinese Windows XP to type chinese or read chinese word... and also type english or read english word...

jacky

metla
21-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I looked into much the same thing a few months back,i was presented with a laptop with a russian version of WinME on it......

Quicly came to the conclusion that the russian os had to be given up on completly.

PoWa
21-08-2003, 11:28 PM
I thought that if you go into the language and regional options etc and change the language over, it should change everything to chinese (after a reboot maybe).

I've seen it before with all the buttons/menus you name it in korean.

Murray P
22-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Hmm, didn't think it would be possible to convert completely to another language but, you might be right PoWa, especially if you download the language packs (or whatever) from MS. It is after all just a reinstall/change of all your fonts including the system ones, isn't it?, the computer is still using numbers to associate things and communicate at the process level.

Cheers Murray P

SKT174
22-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Need to buy the Chinese XP :(

Regional settings to show non Unicode will only works if the application installed is a chinese version, so XP itself would still be in English

kiwibeat
22-08-2003, 01:01 PM
i have ME in chinese somewhere if thats of any use

bk T
22-08-2003, 01:43 PM
> i have ME in chinese somewhere if thats of any use

No. Thanks kiwibeat.

I just want to know whether is it possible to convert it to Chinese. I'll let my friend know about the outcome and let him make the decision.

Thank you all.

bk T
05-09-2003, 11:57 AM
I read in an article saying that this multi-lingua interface can be found in the Windows\Service pack\muisetup.exe

Has anyone tried it?

Cheers

jackyht
05-09-2003, 12:31 PM
hi bk T

i think those multi-lingua is for reading foreign languages only...it won't converted the whole windows into chinese....

like for me, i use english version and use this multi-lingua for reading chinese stuff such as on my msn messenger and chinese newspaper

jacky....