PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player -- Bizarre Error Message

Mohammad Al-Sahaf
21-08-2003, 08:54 PM
I am getting a rather strange error message when trying to play some media files in Windows Media Player 9 -- it is only affecting some media and not other (even when media formats/file types are the same/similar).
Upon playing the media files in question the error message: "Cannot perform the requested operation because the pins are not connected" comes up.
You can get audio but no video.

I have no idea!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
21-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Well what type of media are you trying to play?

Is it copyrighted?

Mike.

Mohammad Al-Sahaf
21-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Downloaded "Married With Children" episodes via Kazaa and some other copyrighted material copied to hard drive (other copyrighted material playing okay --eg: music videos/movies) -- the thing is I can get it to play properly on my other PC but not the one I'm trying to set up as my Home Entertainment PC!

bmason
21-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Do you have the divx codec installed?

godfather
21-08-2003, 09:27 PM
The more complete explanation of the error message is:

Reconnecting Your Input to Ensure Specific Output Types

Filters implement the IAMStreamConfig::SetFormat method to set the audio or video stream's format before pins are connected. Additionally, if your output pin is already connected and you can provide a new type, then reconnect your pin. If the other pin your filter is connected to can't accept the media type, fail this call and leave your connection alone.

Transform filters that do not know what output types their pins can provide should refuse any calls to SetFormat and IAMStreamConfig::GetStreamCaps with the error code VFW_E_NOT_CONNECTED until their input pin is connected.

If your pin knows what types it can provide even when your input is not connected, it is okay to offer and accept them as usual. For more information, see Connecting Transform Filters.

In certain cases it is useful to reconnect pins when you are offering a format on an established connection. For example, if you can compress video into format X but only if you get 24-bit RGB input, and you can turn 8-bit RGB input into compressed format Y, you can either:

Offer and accept both X and Y in GetStreamCaps and SetFormat all the time, or, only offer format X if your input is connected as 24, and only offer Y if your input is connected as 8. Fail both GetStreamCaps and SetFormat if your input is not connected.

Or, get the right codec?

Mohammad Al-Sahaf
21-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Sorry Godfather but you could gave that to me in plain (but detailed) English so I can endeavour to fix the problem!

Thanks

metla
21-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Read his last line.:D

Anyway,go here and get there little program http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

Once you have it,point at the file your trying to play and it will identify what codec is needed for playback.