PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's IM letter means you agree to pay and upgrade

Susan B
21-08-2003, 12:03 PM
They are getting more crafty -- it pays to read the EULA. (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11124)

Note: I am assuming that The Inquirer is a reputable news site and not one of those dodgy ones because I cannot get the Terms and Conditions of MSN Messenger 6 to load in order to check the authenticity of the above article.

Jen C
21-08-2003, 12:46 PM
They certainly are being crafty, the new upgrade might also have an affect on third-party IM software such as Trillian.

Users have to upgrade to the latest versions of MSN or Windows Messenger by Oct. 15 or they will no longer be able to log on, Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall said. The upgrade is required because of "security issues" with the older versions of the Messenger clients, he said, declining to specify those issues.

and then ...

"It is our expectation that those who use our service with unlicensed or unauthorized third-party clients will likely not be able to log on after Oct. 15," Sundwall said. "We would encourage those third parties to contact us to work out agreements by which they can continue to have their customers access our network."
Sundwall would not comment on what type of agreement Microsoft would want with third-party IM software providers. "We are very interested in interoperating with all third parties, there just needs to be a formal agreement," he said.

I imagine this formal agreement will be written in $$.

But there might be hope for Trillian users:
However, Trillian users who posted comments to an online forum are hopeful. Though current versions of the software may be affected, a new version is said to support the latest IM protocols also found in Microsoft's MSN Messenger 6, according to postings to a forum on Trillian's Web site.

Read the full news article here (http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/19/HNmsnlockdown_1.html)

Rod ger
21-08-2003, 12:50 PM
This guy forgot about his EULA too, but found a solution.
<http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=lh>

Kame
21-08-2003, 12:52 PM
I doubt that they could stop 3rd Party Software from their Network. With the new change it'll only be a matter of weeks or months before they release another client that'll work with MS IM service.

Yahoo tried doing similar with it's chat and IM, but that didn't stop the 3rd Party Software being created to work with their new protocol.

stu140103
21-08-2003, 01:10 PM
> Users have to upgrade to the latest versions of
> MSN or Windows Messenger by Oct. 15 or they will no
> longer be able to log on, Microsoft spokesman Sean
> Sundwall said. The upgrade is required because of
> "security issues" with the older versions of the
> Messenger clients, he said, declining to specify
> those issues.

that all most sound like the e-mail's (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=38456)I got from MS about MSN/Win messenger.

Jen C
21-08-2003, 01:22 PM
>that all most sound like the
> e-mail's I got from MS about MSN/Win messenger.

That's because it is.

This also explains the multiple emails some people received as well (my last count was 7 of them):

Microsoft on Monday sent out e-mail alerting MSN users to upgrade. Some MSN users reported receiving a dozen or more copies of the same message. The message resembles a hoax or prank. The first line is all capital letters: "ATTENTION: IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED FOR MSN AND WINDOWS MESSENGER USERS."
.....Sundwall said. A relatively small number of people got multiple e-mail messages because of a "snafu" in Microsoft's e-mail system, he said.

Dolby Digital
21-08-2003, 01:38 PM
What a great article. Microsoft can be somewhat heavy handed. As he said, Microsoft didn't really care about him as a customer.

Kiwitas
21-08-2003, 09:18 PM
I think that if you read the EULA for any of the IM clients,like Yahoo,
AOL,Odigo,ICQ,Paltalk Jabber,and I would think even the 3rd party apps like Trillian,Lotus-Sametime,or Lycos-Sympatico etc.,you will find simular
clauses?

It is an early warning to the users!

If one of the IM clients were to suddenly annouce now, that charges were to be made,say on 1st Sept,what will you or I do?
Personally, trash it and go for the free one!

Would probably be the death of that client if everyone did the same?

But if,as soon as #1 made that move,then the other IM clients also announced that they too,were going to charge for the service,
the warning in the EULA,is already there!

Just as an aside,I found a 3rd party IM called BLIBBLE-BLOBBLE in the UK!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

PoWa
21-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Yer and I have Hushmail messenger - 2048bit encryption oh ho ho ho ho.

Icq has really hacked me off with its latest antics. Did anyone get a message telling them they had to upgrade to the latest version of ICQlite??? Well if you did -compulsory or you can't run the program any more, then you get ads in the new version. Damn icqlite!