PDA

View Full Version : No Internet Activity

Mzee
20-08-2003, 11:56 AM
I have a curly one here:)

Celleron 1.7gh 256ram 40gb Hard drive Windows XP Pro.

ADSL Modem connects fine, little windows go down to task line.
56K modem connects fine, ditto.
IE6 no response at all.
Opera 701 no response at all
Ditto Mail.

'can not find server'

Any ideas?

Kame
20-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Let's get this straight first, you have an ADSL moden, internal/external? ethernet or USB?

You then start up the dialup modem? external/internal (may not be relevant)

Are you trying to run both at the same time? Maybe to increase download speed?

I tried doing this a while back, and the problem I faced was that the gateway for both were different, I haven't gone back to this experiment but just since you brought it up I never tried forcing the dialup or adsl to use the same gateway, I've forgotten the term for this, how odd, anyways I may try it again when I have the time.

Maybe internally you can alter the dialup modem to use the same gateway, but whichever is the default is what the computer will use as it's direct method to the internet, why it's not responding is possibly the DNS is at fault. But you should be able to get the internet on one or the other device connected, just don't expect both of them to work.

Kame
20-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Just recapping on what I found out when I did this is that the dialup took over my DSL's connection, it didn't allow me internet access as I had setup IE to use my router as the gateway, so when the dialup connected it wanted to use it's own gateway, which meant the settings for IE were not correct unless I took out the gateway of the router.

Mzee
20-08-2003, 08:19 PM
The External modem is D-Link DSL-200 ADSL USB. The same modem works fine on another computer running XP Home.
The Internal 56K is a 'Pragmatic' Lucent Winmodem. it also works fine in the other computer.
The Modems were not used at the same time, and use different ISP etc.

I will check for missing system files.

Jen C
21-08-2003, 12:45 AM
You haven't accidently configured your firewall to block your browsers and email client? Check to see what the settings are.

Mzee
21-08-2003, 08:59 PM
The Firewall & AV were disabled.

I wouldn't bother but I don't have the original CD to reinstall with.
I want to get it running well & then Ghost it.

Kame
21-08-2003, 09:43 PM
I'd try pinging the internet and seeing if you are getting a response. I'd reconfigure IE and make sure proxy and LAN isn't being used. I'd try ping you own IP if you know how to get it. Run ipconfig /all and see what that brings up.

Anywayz... bit tired to explain thoroughly so I'm off, g'nite