PDA

View Full Version : problem reinstalling McAfee, after futily trying to uninstall it

ssssss
19-08-2003, 11:29 PM
I tried to uninstall McAfee because I wanted to install Norton Internet Security, but McAfee wouldn't uninstall properly. From memory I got a program error message with 'do you want to keep running scripts on this page' message. So I decided it would be better to keep McAfee if it wouldn't uninstall and tried reinstalling it with the HP Recovery disc.
However I now get the message at startup 'Some components of Active Shield are either missing or may not have been installed properly. Please reinstall Active Shield' Well I have tried this a few times with the same result, they are still missing, so now I am stuck without an antivirus program.

godfather
19-08-2003, 11:37 PM
The error message was likely nothing to do with ununstalling McAfee, I suspect. Its usually a coding error on the web page.

You can turn this error off by clicking on Tools, Internet Options, then on the Advanced tab. In the Browsing section, look for: "Disable Script Debugging" and "Display a notification about every script error" and place a checkmark on the Disable option and remove the checkmark from the Display option

Possibly removing McAfee may have re-enabled the error reporting, but it does not sound like an error on your system, only on the web page(s) you are visiting.

It certainly sounds like you have only partially uninstalled it. What happens when you try to re-installit?

ssssss
20-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Godfather,

The first error message re running scripts wasn't on a web page, it occurred as I was uninstalling McAfee, during the uninstalling process.

However I get the second error message after reinstalling. It occurs as the computer is booting, and is serious I guess, because it implies that some of Active Shield is missing and it therefore won't work.

ssssss
20-08-2003, 12:03 AM
ps I may not be quite right about that first error, my memory is very bad;
but I am right about the second one, because it occurs every time I boot.

PoWa
20-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Whack it mate. If McAffee is still showing up in add/remove then try removing it a few times.

If still a no go, whack all the folders in your computer that contain McAffee files. Ie use the search tool, and delete the folder from program files, and common files. Then use Microsoft RegCleaner to get rid of the redundant registry entries. Also msconfig to stop anything from trying to start up when u reboot.

ssssss
20-08-2003, 12:55 AM
have just tried doing the 'partial' uninstall again, and then reinstalling, and the error message on start up about missing files is no longer there, so I expect it is safe to keep using McAfee at the moment. Thanks

ssssss
21-08-2003, 07:37 PM
I would still like to get rid of McAfee, but am not very clever with computers and inspite of your advice am still not confidant in doing it.
I wonder if McAfee make uninstalling their programs impossible for novices so that they have to buy one of their updates to keep having anti-virus protection. I wouldn't be surprised that if I did get their update and it failed, I would find it impossible to access their 30 day money back guarantee.

godfather
21-08-2003, 09:59 PM
You should make it a habit to always look on the program maker's website for such instructions first, as they usually have the information.

McAfee is no exception, a 30 second look produced this (http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?siteID=1&cnrcheck=done&resolution=1024x768) for removing the program. Select the version in the upper LH box, and what you want to do in the next one down.