PDA

View Full Version : PressF1...just curious!!

Maryann
19-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Am interested in "Where do sites like PF1 get their SITES from?". Do they PAY for space....or a line or what?? Is it similar to user's of Internet having to pay Xtra, or whomever. Is a monthly or yearly charge paid??
We use these "sites" for free once we're with Xtra (or???) .Understand that the Internet, as such, belongs to no-one...BUT...

Does this question make sense?

If PJ and I wanted a web site to put news and photos on, for family and friends..mainly in U.K, we would have to pay so much per month, apart from a few free ones like Orcon....so this made me wonder about PF1 and other sites.

stu140103
19-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Hello Maryann

I thought PJ was not too sure about a website???? (which I was going to do :)) that was the last time I chatted to him a few weeks back, or did I confuse him????

stu140103
19-08-2003, 06:30 PM
> Am interested in "Where do sites like PF1 get their
> SITES from?"

Press F1 is Not a * Site * is it a forum :), on a semi Dedicated server, I think) see here (http://www.idg.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/94901EF6089E1384CC256C7600075148?OpenDocument)

> Do they PAY for space....or a line or
> what??

I think it is a line eg a T1 or something like that But I am not too sure, Bruce might be able to tell us

> Is it similar to user's of Internet having to
> pay Xtra, or whomever. Is a monthly or yearly
> charge paid??

See above

stu140103
19-08-2003, 06:32 PM
> We use these "sites" for free once we're with Xtra
> (or???) .Understand that the Internet, as such,
> belongs to no-one...BUT...

That is right No one * really* ones the Internet

> Does this question make sense?

Sort of :)

Maryann
19-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Hi Stu
No probems re web site. We're just not sure if it would suit us, thats all.
Find it just as easy to email because at least that way, our messages get read. We feel that with busy people, they may not get to look at web site, whereas when we email or "snailmail", things get read and also replied to. Thanks for your help so far. PJ says "Hi".

stu140103
19-08-2003, 06:37 PM
> If PJ and I wanted a web site to put news and photos
> on, for family and friends..mainly in U.K, we would
> have to pay so much per month, apart from a few free
> ones like Orcon....so this made me wonder about PF1
> and other sites.

Like Nzoom, IDG, NZ herald and other big sites have there own servers, but smaller sites like my website & the web design company I work for share the server the server they are one with different website

I hope that answers your question.

Thomas
19-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Marlon Brando...ooops sorry The Godfather must be on hols.

Maryann
19-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Yes, Stu...SORT of answers my Q, thanks, and I looked in the link you put up.... BUT...

Does PF1 (or ???) have to PAY so much per month? Still curious.!!

Greg S
19-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Not sure exactly where IDG (including PF1) host their sites (an IP trace would pinpoint it) - local PF1 have a local IP so my guess is that they have their own server. As such they don't pay for space, just bandwidth, ie the amount of data that's transferred to and from the server.

Web servers such as Orcon can host your site for free because they purchase a huge amount of wholesale bandwidth, and sub-charge it out to paying users, but also give free users a tiny amount of that bandwidth and server space

Maryann
19-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the explanations. Together with what PJ has gleaned from the info too...very interesting.

Curiosity satisfied. B-)

Chilling_Silently
19-08-2003, 09:28 PM
PressF1 is a dedicated server, and the spec's are more than sufficient from what I last heard.

Im not too sure how much the Admins would be happy with me spilling, but its running RedHat linux (Look back on certain posts and the info I've just mentioned is around), not too sure which version, if they've upgraded or not :-)

Maryann>

Try orcon.net.nz for your own website, and then try www.dot.tk for a .tk domain name, like my rescueman.tk :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

Thomas
19-08-2003, 09:40 PM
So thats the prob,not using windows,tha'l teach em;)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-08-2003, 09:54 PM
> Im not too sure how much the Admins would be happy
> with me spilling, but its running RedHat linux (Look
> back on certain posts and the info I've just
> mentioned is around), not too sure which version, if
> they've upgraded or not :-)

Effective Jan 03:

Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2 mod_perl/1.26

That information is all available freely online:
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=pressf1.pcworld.co.nz

Tracing the NetBlock owner routes back to Asia Online - a fairly large bandwidth provider - who's to say what type of connection it is, could be a T1 or T3 (unlikely however) - it's more likely a fibre connection or something to that effect. This is fairly irrelevant anyway as an internet connection is an internet connection - you could technically run a web-site off a 56K dial-up connection.

As for MaryAnn's question:

Yes, PressF1 will have to pay for this site, however based on the type of organisation it is probably served off the internet access at their office or similar.

Your average small business or home web-site would be hosted somewhere (like Orcon perhaps), in the cases where it is not free, you have to pay an annual charge for a domain (www.whateveryouregistered.co.nz) plus a hosting charge - in the case of most ISP's this is charged based on the amount of disk space allocated to your site on a particular server.

Maryann
19-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Hi Chill :D :D Working hard??

Dont get too" tech" on me, lad!! Was "just curious" on how these forums work...pay their way. Most things cost money. Very interesting, and thanks.

Regarding a web site, Stu was helping us. However, we don't really think we need one. T'was but a thought! You can see what I mentioned before, that people are either too busy, or whatever, to maybe BOTHER to go to a website. It's just as easy for us to print out a general letter, with added personal comments and photos...or email them. That way we are assured of letters and emails in return, which is more fun. :)

metla
19-08-2003, 10:53 PM
> Marlon Brando...ooops sorry The Godfather must be on
> hols.

lmao,Now im going have to start a thread askin how to clean my keyboard of the half a cup of coffee i just spilled.

beetle
19-08-2003, 11:02 PM
LOL and here i was thinking you never had time forcoffee as you work all hours and grind your fingers to the bone,

"all i can invisage is someone sitting back feet up on desk scanning the screen with mouse at arms reach and doughnuts at the ready"

LOL
:p

who says the work is never done, but food and liquids are not a good mix with computers at any time.....
:D
have a good one metla...... coffee that is.
beetle

dotcommander
20-08-2003, 04:26 PM
hey there Maryann, if you are looking for free bannerless hosting, i recommend going here http://www.brinkster.com and look for the free hosting solutions link on that page.

stu140103
20-08-2003, 04:54 PM
> hey there Maryann, if you are looking for free
> bannerless hosting, i recommend going here
> http://www.brinkster.com and look for the free
> hosting solutions link on that page.

But orcon is better (& it is free as well & orcon servers are based here in Auckland NZ)

stu140103
20-08-2003, 05:01 PM
> > Im not too sure how much the Admins would be happy
> > with me spilling, but its running RedHat linux
> (Look
> > back on certain posts and the info I've just
> > mentioned is around), not too sure which version,
> if
> > they've upgraded or not :-)
>
> Effective Jan 03:
>
> Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.12
> OpenSSL/0.9.6b DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2 mod_perl/1.26
>
> That information is all available freely online:
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=pressf1.pcwo
> ld.co.nz

I see that whiskeytangofoxtrot or Chilling_Silently did not read or look at the link I posted :( Because that link gave all the information about the servers that IDGNet, CIO, Computerworld, PC World, etc..... website’s run on.

-=JM=-
20-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Stu, Brinkster's free hosting allows the use of ASP which can let you do some stuff that you can't with the Orcon hosting. Orcon is good if you don't need ASP though.

The netcraft links gives more information about what the server is running.