PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Configuration Win98SE & Win XP Pro

Mohammad Al-Sahaf
19-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi

Is this possible??

I have WIN XP Pro installed on a 20GB hard drive in a Celeron 500MHz system (512MB RAM/Sound Card/On board video/Network card).
Have just purchased a 80GB Hard Drive to install into the machine as a secondary drive with the original intention of just using it to store all my endless data (EG: MP3s/Videos etc...).
Now thinking about partitioning the new drive and installing Win98SE on it (for older appns/games etc) and the data on a 2nd partition.

Wpuld I have troubles on bootup?
Can the 2 O/Ss live in'harmony'?
What is the best way to accomplish it (as much detail as poss please!)?
What about applying windows updates, Direct X, new utilities to each O/S without screwing the whole thing up?!!

Fire-and-Ice
19-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Yes, it is possible but you will have to do your homework on the issue first.

Have a look at this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37512&message=182743&q=dual+boot#182743) for a little information for a start.

PoWa
19-08-2003, 04:46 PM
WinXP might run faster on the new 80gb drive. Check out both drives, you might find the 80Gb has more cache on it and your operating systems will run quite fast on it if you use that one.

Make sure you have made a separate partition for Win98 before installing it. Don't count on the win98 to make any partitions for you, it will just delete all your data on an existing partition.

Why do you need to install 98 for some games?? You could try right clicking on the game .exe's and going compatibility for win98 etc.

Mohammad Al-Sahaf
19-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Found compatibility wizard less than satisfactory at times.
Plus kids have quite a few older programs that are more stable and run better on Win98.
Plus I just want to try it out!!!

Intel Hunter
19-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I have posted this link before to others under the name repo74 but have now had to login as the name I have now. Give it a go as it works, I have done this many times myself with no problems. http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm Just make sure you print out the instructions.

Regards repo74 aka Intel Hunter