PDA

View Full Version : Win XP home service pack 1 express

Ladybug
18-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi - this is also on my list of updates. I dont have SP1 after having to reinstall windows. I tired to download it but I get to a point where it tells me to achieve? I have had conflicking info on whether I need to do this or not - can some1 give me ideas please?

When i last installed SP1 from PC World disk I didnt do this option but had made a restore point - is this enough???

And do I really need the SP1 as my computer shop told me i dont as long as I do the updates.

A confused Bug TY

stu140103
18-08-2003, 01:41 PM
> And do I really need the SP1 as my computer shop told
> me i dont as long as I do the updates.

Ok, there is other people (on here) who will tell you differently (because it has slow down there computer etc….. e.g. PoWa), But you Do Need it! , because it has a hole heap of fixes( for some major holes etc…& a few new features etc…………

Have a look below on what it fixes

List of Fixes (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324720)
View the list of fixes included in Windows XP SP1a.

From the MS website:

Microsoft continually works to improve its software. As part of this effort, we develop updates and fixes to recognized issues and release them for customers. On a regular basis, we combine many of these fixes into a single package and make the package available for you to install on your computers. These packages are called Service Packs.

Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) provides the latest security and reliability updates to the Windows XP family of operating systems, and includes Internet Explorer 6 SP1a. Windows XP SP1a is designed to ensure Windows XP platform compatibility with newly released software and hardware, and includes updates that resolve issues discovered by customers or by Microsoft's internal testing team. To determine whether to install Windows XP SP1a, we recommend reviewing the Windows XP documentation and information below. If you have already installed Windows XP SP1, you do not need to install Windows XP SP1a.

For further information about the specific difference between Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 1a (SP1a) for Windows XP, see article 813926,

Differences Between Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP1a. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813926)

tommy
18-08-2003, 04:22 PM
I am not sure what you mean by Service Pack 1 "express". Do you mean Service Pack 1a? If so, Microsoft says this: "Windows XP SP1a is the same as Windows XP SP1 except that the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a." If you follow the same procedure that you did last time (ie "When i last installed SP1 from PC World disk I didnt do this option but had made a restore point") that should be fine. I am not sure that I would agree with your computer shop regarding not needing SP1. Personally, I would install it and then do the updates.

Ladybug
18-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Tommy - Im not sure about the name either whether it is infact 1a but Express is what the name of it in the updates list.

Thanks for you reply I will now go and download.

:) Bug