PDA

View Full Version : Hotbar - darn software! Need help.

nzStan
18-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Am helping a friend of a friend. Unfortunately I can only do this during my lunch break. Last week, had a quick look at her PC. Win2K pro with Office2K, Norton System Works - ie antivirus but not firewall.

She thought she had the Blaster worm because her PC keeps generating GPF errors. She is on dialup btw.

I had a quick look and msblaster.exe is not active. But explorer is running at 30% all the time. Brought up explorer and it had a "Hotbar" toolbar on with the message "Installing now...."

I tried to uninstall hotbar from Control panel, but the Add/Remove program is screwed (blank screen). So I hop on the internet and found a utility to manually uninstall hotbar. Did that and the Hotbar toolbar is gone. But the GPF is still happening. The good news is the Add/Remove screen works now. The bad news is when I rebooted the PC, the Add/Remove screen is screwed again (blank screen).

Anyone has experience with Hotbar? What do I need to know about this piece of ad/spyware before I make another lunch time trip this week? Or could it be something else is locking the Add/Remove function (a virus?).

I will be installing ZoneAlarm on her PC to give her some firewall protection.

Billy T
18-08-2003, 11:08 AM
You may need to run Adawre & Spybot, but you can kill Hotbar quickly by searching for and deleting hotbar.exe. I did that the first time it invaded, and that stopped it in its tracks, but next time I used Adaware to ensure all details were removed.

From the symptoms though I don't think that this is responsible for all of the problems.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

KiwiTT
18-08-2003, 11:08 AM
I think Spybot S&D will get rid of it.

Fire-and-Ice
18-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Try the Hijack This utility mentioned in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37841&message=185610). It should fix it nicely.