PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Internet Please tell me

Ladybug
14-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi

At the moment my Nortons Internet Access Control is coming up
with the following

A remote system is attempting to access LSA Shell (Export Version)
on your computer.

I have been blocking it.

Can someone tell me what this is and do I click on the
Always use this action for this application box?

thanks

Bug :)

Kame
14-08-2003, 12:38 PM
LSA Shell also known as lsass.exe is primarily for administrating access permissions.

Can you get more details on what is trying to access your computer? If things are running fine when you block access then a permanent block may as well be put on it. You can always change these settings again if problems are created from it.

Also note that trojans/virus have masqueraded around as LSASS.exe

Ladybug
14-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks Kame

I blocked it and then turned machine off and when I came back it didn't
appear again but if it does I will permanent block it like you say.

:) Bug

Kame
14-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Just to inform you what it could mean, is that if the system trying to access your computer from the internet is that he's trying to login in your computer, which is what LSA Shell is for, it's controls the local and remote login process.

If it's a trojan, then obviously it's acting as a server process allowing people to access your computer, blocking it is a good idea, and also updating your virus definitions and scanning your computer would be good. Just to make sure your system is clean and not being compromised.

The reason why you should get details of who's accessing it is that you can put a complaint to the person's ISP if it continues, it could mean they are trying to access your system or they are infected. Either way, leave it in the hands of the ISP and hopefully they'll sort out the problem for you without you worrying, getting paranoid, fearing the outside world... I need to get out more :P

Ladybug
14-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Very much appreciated there Kame - thanks for explaining.

Some of this computer talk can be a little daunting at times.

And Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I know the getting out more feeling :)

Thanks Bug