PDA

View Full Version : Works delema > 2 progs...

beetle
12-08-2003, 10:09 PM
hi all,

i have packed up and sent away my beloved pc and need to put works on the work pc so i can complete my homework (it did not come with anything) is it ok to put this prog on my new pc or not?
as the prog is mine$ and the puter is mine just i will now have two puters with it on? will this cause problems when i access the net to check emails and such like? will it send home or search for a registration number? i dont want to do anything wrong but i do need this prog to be on the new puter tis sorta vital for work and school stuff....
this is the only thing or program i want to do this with.
is this wrong ? illegal?

beetle

Pheonix
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
I can't see that you have anything to worry about. Just ensure when the other PC returns that you remove works from the second PC.
No MS software is known to "phone home". Just different with the XP licencing system.

stu140103
12-08-2003, 10:22 PM
> hi all,
>
> i have packed up and sent away my beloved pc and need
> to put works on the work pc so i can complete my
> homework (it did not come with anything) is it ok to
> put this prog on my new pc or not?

I think it will be fine :)

> as the prog is mine$ and the puter is mine just i
> will now have two puters with it on?

That should not be a problem, we use to have word 2000 on 3 different computer & that was not a problem.

> will this cause
> problems when i access the net to check emails and
> such like? will it send home or search for a
> registration number?

Nope

Hope this helps

PS: if I am wrong please correct me

godfather
12-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Should be fine beetle.

Later versions of MS Office would not permit being installed on more than one PC, (two PCs for full versions) but Works should be fine.

Its probably quite legit as you are only using it on one PC as your other is away for its liposuction treatment (I assume).

You won't recognise it when it comes back ....

beetle
13-08-2003, 09:53 AM
LOL Godfather..... i could do with someliposuction treatment too i fell at times, to realign the brain or something..

just trying to set the new one up with all the bits and bobs im used to and its not all nice and smooth for me either.

beetle

Rosz
14-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Last time I had to speak with Microsoft (in 2001) the official word was that if: -

1) possession of an MS prog was legit and
2) you did not run it concurrently (that is, turn on more than one machine at a time and fire up the prog)

it was acceptable to install it on more than one machine ... no other instances were forgiveable if the hacks found multiple installations without corresponding licences ... this was to cater for all scenarios where users bought the prog and needed to access it in more than one location (eg at home&work or in the garage&study&loungeroom).

I haven't had the pleasure of speaking to them re: licencing recently but I'd be hard put to imagine any major changes ... remember - even if they DO catch you, their real concern is large-scale pirating where the offenders don't give a hoot ... you'll be fine ...

kiwibeat
14-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Go for it hope your PC comes back soon , only Xp messenger and media player at the moment tires to phone home and verify things etc so dont worry M/S are after big fish that sell software in bulk volume